Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SM465, 2wd vs 4wd?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Dec 3, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Are there major differences? I found a 2wd crewcab in tow for sale that has an SM465. Figure it would make a nice daily driver tow vehicle but 4x4 Crew Cabs are just . Wondering what it would take to stick a transfer case to the back of the transmission. And yes I know 2wd cabs often don't allow a tcase, I can work around all that.

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I don't know but would like to because I have a 2wd 465 also.

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

the same difference as with auto trannies; the output shaft is way different

otherwise the case and everything is same between the two

4. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

2wd's have a 35 splined output shaft, they are also shorter than an output shaft that a tcase needs. I hope that made sense.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

The early four-wheel-drive version (picture, uppermost), from 1968 to 1979, has a 10 spline involute output shaft that sticks out 2-5/8" from the rear face of the transmission case. The second variety is the two-wheel-drive style (picture, center) that has a 35 spline output shaft with a threaded end. This version spanned the entire production period of the SM465. The later four-wheel-drive version, 1980-on, main shaft (picture, lowermost) is the longest, has 32 splines and is not compatible with our kits. However, any SM465 can be made to be compatible by the use of our main shaft versions of our kits.
    [​IMG]
    answered my own question. Second shaft down is the 2wd one, 3rd down is what I probably want.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

It is a crew cab long bed, so there should be plenty of room to install a divorced tcase.

7. MoonMan

MoonMan Registered Member

As far as the clearance underneath the cab to install a tranfer case, all 2wd trucks with 4 speeds should have the taller center hump. Only 2wd autos should have have lower hump.