Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SM465 3rd gear strength?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Sep 28, 2003.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I have been going threw alot of different drivetrain combo's recently, and I have got alot of interest in one.

I am looking into runnin a SM465 or SM420, Klune V, NP205, and 3.42/3.73 gears. I am planning on running 38's also. This make 4th gear in the SM465 act like an overdrive and would effectively turn 3rd gear into drive.

Is the 3rd gear in either the 465 or 420 strong enough to handle 3rd gear cruising and beening used as direct drive? I don't see why not, but want to know for sure. Thanks

Harley

2. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

I would think one gear is as strong as the next, but can't say for sure. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

with 2.73s and 32s I use 3rd gear to cruise around more than I do 4th. Never had a problem.

4. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

THe only thing I suggest is to install a antipopout 3rd gear! If you're going to be cruising, It would behoove you! Strength wise, it will be fine! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Harley,

Strengthwise, the 465 is stupid-strong...I fabsolutely FLOG mine and it hasn't given me ANY problems...The only problems people have with it is the 3rd gear pop-up (I have yet to experience this) and the huge ratio change between 1st and 2nd (or 2nd and 3rd, depending on how you look at it) /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If you want to experience 3rd gear pop out, I'll send you my 465. It blows, but it's basically the only complaint I've got about my tranny.

7. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

It is not the actual gear that would be the problem it is the fact that third gear is powered through a counter shaft and not direct drive like fourth gear is because the main shaft gets linked together. It would more than likely handle what you are doing all day long for many years due to the size and bearings that are used in the 465's counter/main shafts.
    Just my opinion but that is an aweful high gear to be running with a 38" tall tire when you are driving on the street - I hope your motor is strong in the lower RPM range.
    Good luck and I would not worry about the tranny running on the counter shaft a lot of the time - It is very stout .
    Tom

8. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Guess it is time for a 700 R 4 then???? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Oh no not again! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

The only problem I see with this plan is that you'll be using the granny as an actual 1st gear. From what I understand it's not really meant to be used that way, as evidenced by the fact that it's not synchronized. The big jump between the granny and 1st is might be difficult to live with too. You'll wrap out granny and shift to first but the motor will probably still bog a bit. I drove with a 465, 4.10s and 38s for a couple years, even that was a bit tall for daily driving. At 70 MPH I was only turning about 2150RPM. I would suggest going to 4.56s for good around town manners but still be able to do 75 on the freeway.

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

With my setup I have to start out in granny. I have enough torque with the headers now to start out in 2nd(1st whatever) but I have to gas it and I don't like that. My k5 has been like that since I got it. You are correct it gets old. But it doesn't bog between creeper and 2nd since I usually wind it out to like 3500 4000 to shift. However with that setup you will notice a bog between 2nd and 3rd. And 4th gear in my k5 as previouslly noted is like the motor isn't there. With my old 305 when I would put it in 4th it would actually slow down!

12. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Having to use granny low as first gear isn't bad. The ratio drop from granny to second is less than 50% (6.55 to 3.58) whereas the ratio drop between second and third is worse (3.58 to 1.70, more than 50%)

I drove my truck like this for a couple years, it had 33's, 2.73's and the 465 of course. the only drawback is you need to be stopped almost 100% before shifting back into granny low. 4th was basically an overdrive and my cruise rpm was 1800 rpm at 65 mph.

Rene

13. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

i try starting out in low gear once in a while, with 3.40s and 33s and its rediculous even going into first after low because its just like shift, then shift again as soon as the clutch is out...

14. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

In my 68 with 4.11 rear and 32's I can ALMOST (almost) start out in 3rd /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

15. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

thats how my whole setup is, and yes 2nd to 3rd is much much worse than 1st to 2nd. You can put it in before you stop its just a lot of umm that weird noise that almost sounds like grinding /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

16. tRustyK5

Hmmm, can't say I've ever heard that sound.../forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Rene

17. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

people always laugh at me and point when I put it in creeper and it grinds a little. I just laugh back and say its unsychronized. They keep laughing cause I'm making an excuse and they have no idea what that means.

18. tRustyK5

Just tell them it's a 'man thing'...they wouldn't understand. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rene

19. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Is reverse not synchronized either? It seems like mine grinds whenever I put it into granny or reverse, even if I'm just idling and that's with a new clutch.

20. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yep reverse is unsychronized as well