Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SM465/6.2L durability?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by u2slow, Jan 29, 2003.

1. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I had one guy tell me a 6.2L is doomed when bolted to an SM465. Claimed the wide ratios in the tranny make it lug, putting extra stress on the crank, causing the crank to eventually break or cause main bearing failure. He'd never seen a snapped crank with an auto, and, as a trend, seen much higher miles with an auto. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

What's the verdict guys? Is he speaking from his backside? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Personally, I think his reasoning is flawed. I think it has more to do with driving style, and that sm465/6.2L combos only came in pickups - most likely 1-tons that were probably used beyond their capabilities. [​IMG]

2. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

IMO, flawed logic.
    All the broken cranks/cracked blocks I've seen or heard of were in auto equipped trucks. Just not as many manuals out there.

3. Why me?

Why me? Registered Member

Got a 6.5-265 here. Had a 6.2-265 in the same truck. Pulled excellent, both on road, and off. Only bitch is in traffic. Oh yea, when I drive around a parking lot, in high gear I tend to "set off" alot of car alarms. Also driving down the street slow. The engine has alot of tourgue!

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I don't let mine lug, and it's pretty easy to not lug it. I'd love to have an extra gear in the mix somewhere but honeslty the 6.2 seems to like the revs a bit anyways. I let it pull as much as I used to with my 350 (shift point about 2800-3000 rpm) and it seems fine.

If I break my crank I'll let you know/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Rene

5. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

I don't think the transmission has anything to do with failing crankshafts. Most of failures that I know of were attributed to bad harmonic balancers.

There's a lot of 6.2L/465 combos running around. Most of the guys who own them swear by them. Myself, I don't care for the large rpm ranges between gears, but I don't think it's hard on the engine.

When pulling my trailer, I tend to let the engine run up to the governor in 1st and 2nd gear. I haven't blown it up yet!

Casey

6. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I knew of a wrecker service back in the 1990's that would only order GM products and used a lot of Cab Chassis 6.2 & 465 equiped trucks . These trucks did not have a lot of power but they were for the most part very reliable and lasted a long , long time . Many of the trucks suffered from the company truck syndrome and were ABUSED and lugged ALL OF THE TIME and not one ever broke a crank with less than 250,000 miles on the odometer. These trucks spent an amazing amount of time at idle so the mileage should be even more .
    I think that if those engines are not hopped up they can take a lot of abuse and be very reliable for a light duty design . Tom

7. 4xfreak

4xfreak Registered Member

Listen to that folks! The great reason and downfall of many if not all crank shafts is a worn harmonic balancer. Harmonic Vibration is higher in diesel engines than in gassers thus increasing the loads exerted on the crank shaft. Ever notice how everything shakes and rattles on a diesel, this is becuase of the harmonic vibrations from the engine. If your balancer is not in good condition the components connected to it will fail. More play from the balancer means more play in the mains and so on down the line. Go ahead and add your 465 and have no worries if everything else before the transmission is in good shape. Have no fear, it is a reputable tranny that in combination with the 6.2 will provide you with many miles and years of service. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif