Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SM465/700R4 Swap

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by BurbLover, Mar 24, 2004.

1. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Okay, after talking with Rene awhile back and more recently FortcollinsRam, I've decided to swap the 465/205 combo in my 85 K30 into my 84 6.2 K5.

Other than rear drive shaft & clutch pedal issues, is there anything else I'll need to purchase? Specifically, will the flex plate work? Anything else that won't work?

TIA!!

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

a flex plate is for automatic tranny, you will need a manual flywheel, not sure if a 350 flywheel will work or not. someone else (rene) will know what to get. you will also need a clutch kit. the front drive shaft on the 465/205 is shorter than the 700r4/208

3. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Thanks for your reply. I plan on using the drive shaft from the K30 as I have a D60 going in sometime this summer. I'll probably use an adapter u-joint to put the K5 front shaft into the K30. Chris (FCRam) also wasn't sure about the 350 flexplate. So, it looks like I'll need to buy the following:

- 6.2 auto flexplate
    - Clutch kit (since already out)

Anymore comments (Rene, oh god of 6.2's /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Thanks for your reply. I plan on using the drive shaft from the K30 as I have a D60 going in sometime this summer. I'll probably use an adapter u-joint to put the K5 front shaft into the K30. Chris (FCRam) also wasn't sure about the 350 flexplate. So, it looks like I'll need to buy the following:

- 6.2 auto flexplate

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's see if I got this right:
    You have a K5 with a 6.2/700/208 and you want to put the 465/205 from the K30 in the K5 instead.
    You will need a 6.2 flywheel not flexplate.
    and clutch kit.
    If you want to put the auto in your K30 then you might need the auto flexplate but if not then you only need the flywheel.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

the front drive shaft ujoints at the pinion are all the same (1310) from the factory

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]

- 6.2 auto flexplate

[/ QUOTE ]

flexplate is for auto and flywheel is for manual tranny. Once you have both side by side you'll see there is a big difference. The flywheel is much thicker and weighs a ton more.

So you'll need a new flywheel (or a good used one and get it resurfaced)
    You'll need a pilot bearing for the back of the crank
    New clutch disc
    New pressure plate and throw out bearing

Probably best to swap the entire pedal assemblies from one truck to the other. I'm not sure what year the K30 is, but if it's 85 or newer the clutch should be hydro instead of mechaincal linkage. Hydro would be much better, but whith a diaphram clutch mechanical is tolerable too.

If you have a mechanical clutch then you'll need to swap in the 'Z' bar and junk and mount it to the top of the frame right behind the drivers front shackle mount. It's riveted to the top of the frame rail so it'll be a bear to remove from the one truck and not much more fun to install in the K5.

To give you an idea on driveshaft length, my rear shaft from the center of the U-joint cups to the center of the U-joint cups is 42 1/2"...and the front is quite short.

The T-case shifter handle will (should) end up in the middle of the hole in the tranny tunnel you have now. My truck orginally came with a 465/208 and my 205 shifter ends up centered in the orginal hole.

Flywheel might be the hardest part to find, I've seen them on ebay now and then though so they are out there. I lucked out...the donor 6.2 motor I bought was from a 465 equipped truck so it already had the flywheel bolted to it.

Rene

7. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

If you get a flywheel from a junkyard, be sure it is not a DMF (dual mass flywheel). GM has a retrofit kit under one part number. Here are some GM part numbers:

14061685 rollerized diesel pilot bearing
    12556799 Flywheel GM, casting #14050525N 139 tooth (about $175.00)

15029428 Pressure Plate & Disk; 2-piece GM kit (about $189.74)
    (consists of disk 15029430 and Pressure Plate 15029429)

In the kit, the sizes are:
    15029429 Pressure Plate part number (included in kit) size: 11-7/8" OD
    15029430 Friction Disk part number (included in kit) 10 spline 1.25" center

10085215 bolts flywheel, diesel