Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sm465 and 700r4 Questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekquistk5, Apr 12, 2005.

1. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

How much should a decent sm465 cost. I know a guy that has a 350/sm465/205 for 500, but its a carbed motor. I have a TBI motor right now, and would like to keep it. Do I need to find a 465 from a tbi blazer/burb/truck to make all the computer stuff work right???? After my last wheeling trip I lost a tranny cooler line, and now my 700r4 is all sloppy now, and makes a wierd howling noise at 60-75mph(or most of 3rd gear) It only happens when the power is applied. I'm pretty sure its comming from the tranny, because when i'm in nuetral I can rev it and no sound. Any suggestions on what I should do, I really dont want to spend any money on the 700 unless its under 100 bucks. Is ther anything I can do to tighten up my 700, and get rid of the noise, or should I call it a wash and just start gathering parts for the 465 swap

2. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

I had a howl when I first got my truck, and I didn't have any idea what it was. After the breakage, I knew exactly what it was, but my howl only happened while I was moving and let OFF the power. When coasting it would howl and whine, and I was worried. It ended up being my rear end, the nut that holds the driveshaft in place was loose and was causing the noise. I'd suggest checking on your rearend and making sure that nut is tight, before it flies off and grinds your R&P to a bloody pulp. If it's not the rear end, it would likely be the tranny or you may have some gunk in your drive shaft that is causing the noise. Check it out before you do any wheeling or towing with your rig, or you WILL break something.

3. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

The SM465 had a few little changes over the years, but they are pretty much all the same (except for the 3 different output shafts). So yeah, it will work.

That price sounds kinda decent for that combo, but do you know anything about the engine?

I am not 100% sure about this, as my spare 465/205 I acquired for free once when I was in the right place at the right time. :confused:

4. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

As For the howol its def comming from the front/ mid. I'll check the shaft etc, but everything was tight when I left!

5. stizkidz

stizkidz 1/2 ton status

I paid $350 for my 465/205 combo. It's also non-hydro and did not come with driveshafts, clutch, or flywheel.