Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SM465 and NP205 Question!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DuallyK5, Apr 25, 2006.

1. DuallyK5

DuallyK5 Registered Member

I have a 1988 k5 blazer that had a 700r4 in it. This is the 3rd 700r4 my truck has eaten so I am going to put a SM465 4speed into my truck. My only dilemma is figuring out all the combinations that are possible with this tranny with the spline outputs and inputs of the transfer case. I have a NP205 I am planning to use on this tranny. It is the older version with the figure 8-bolt pattern. Now my NP205 has a 27 input and it has the 27spline slip yoke conversion on it already. Now I was reading up on these trannys and transfer cases. I understand that there is a long and a short shaft on the SM465. I know that there was a 10 spline short I believe that was originally bolted to a NP205 with a 10spline input or a 27-spline input. I know that the SM465 also has a 35spline on the 2wd version so this transmission. Now I also have heard that is has a 32-spline 4wd output witch went into the NP208's and new style NP205 with the circler bolt pattern. I heard that the 10-spline shafts wear out excessively on the SM465 output and or input on the NP205. Now I from what I believe there is a 4wd SM465 with a 32spline output is this true. And is there a 32spline input I could get for the late model NP205 to get it to work with the SM465 so they both utilize a 32spline shaft. I understand that ORD has the 32spline short and the 32 spline long input shafts for the 205. Can I get a SM465 and a late model NP205 to both have 32 spline shafts? I believe that would be the strongest and would last the longest am I correct? Where can I find a kit or what parts would I need to get the SM465 to have a 32spline 4wd output that would work on a late model NP205 with a 32spline input. And I also believe the input for the NP205 32 spline is a female am I correct? If anyone can please help me on figuring this puzzle out I would really appreciate it. Also if I were to find a SM465 with a 10spline output what shaft is 4wd, short or long? And would that hold up if I were to mate the 10spline SM465 output and the 27spline input for the 205 with a 10 to 27spline coupler sleeve. Also what adapters would I have to use for what. I would like to use the stock GM cast iron SM465 to NP205 Adapter if possible. Can someone please help me out?

2. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

Hey Man,

I don't know the answer to any of the questions you asked, sorry. But I do run a 465/205 combo (which I love) and woudl be more than happy to crawl under my truck tomorrow evening and take pictures of it if that would help at all...

3. DuallyK5

Yeah

Yeah that could help me a little bit. I was reading up on it and unless someone makes a 32spline kit like ORD or someone it has to be customly done. Costs a bit of Money. What year truck you got you prolly have teh 10 spline output and a 10 spline input or you can have the 10 spline output and teh 27spline input witch was another factory thing just with a diffrent coupler. If you can get a bunch of pictures of like the crossmenber and tranny and transfer also the adapter that would help me out alot. Im coverting my auto to a 4speed.

4. noahrob

No worries, I will take a bunch of pics tomorrow night when I get home from work. The tranny and transfer case I have are out of a mid 80's Chevy truck, it was part of a trade. I switched from a TH400/205 to this setup. We didn't separate the tranny's, rather just moved them together as one big piece

5. DuallyK5

kool

Thats good to know. Do you have the hydrolic clutch or are you using the manual clutch? I got a 383 stroker in my truck as well. I seen you have a 383 on your car domain profile. Mines pushing like 480hp and 530ft/lb's. I am looking around junkyards and people that i know for the SM465, Bellhousing, Clutch Pedal Assembaly and the Proper Crossmember and also the Adpater from SM465 to NP205.

6. noahrob

I have the manual linkage, and although I read a lot of people that said it sucks, I like it. It has popped out twice, but the truth is I didn't put all the spring on to hold it in place so...

As for the engine, I am pretty sure I don't make anythgin close to that much power, but it seems to go pretty good most of the time....

There is a guy in the clasified section of this site selling the full clutch setup, Bellhousing too I think for like $100...

7. jwglover

jwglover Registered Member

27 spline 205 is for the 350 tranny, you would have to change the input shaft to the 10 spline and get an adapter plate to a four speed to make that tranfer case work. That would be easy enough to do. The 32 spline conversion,,,, just find a 4 speed and t -case out of a 83 -89 one ton , or 88-92 one ton ( old style), and you can get the hydro pedals,bell housing and all the brackets too. That would be the eisiest if you want the stronger 32 spline.

8. noahrob

OK, a little late, sorry, but here are some pics

IMG_2441.JPG

IMG_2442.JPG

IMG_2444.JPG

IMG_2443.JPG

9. carrerad

carrerad Newbie

noahrob,

Could you email me tyhese images, I am doing a SM465-NP205 conversion on my 84 GMC P/U. I tried to open them from this post but the system wont let me.

Thanks.