Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SM465...... Anybody got one for CHEEEP?!?!?

Discussion in 'New England Region' started by Greg72, Dec 15, 2006.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Looking for an SM465 for cheap....(experimenting)

Don't want to spend much, or drive too far to get it.

Anyone have one, have a friend selling one, or know of a junkyard / salvage place???

:usaflag:

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

hmmm.....

I dont have one now,I did but I sold it!:doah: ..my friend was going to scrap it,he had it sitting in a shed for years,from a 72 GMC 4x4 truck he had long ago..so I rescued it,2 weeks later a guy came knocking on my door looking for it!...my friend told him I took it,and sent him over..I passed on the NP205 that was with it,it was full of water,rusted solid,and probably cracked..:(

..I could list some junkyards near me who'd probably have one,but they will likely want at least 100-150 bucks for one,and you say you dont want to drive too far...

I dont remember the name of the Junkyard I'e been too in NH,I think its in Greenville or close to it,right over the MA border on Rt.31..they had lots of older cars and trucks,and 4x4's last time I was there (even 55 Chevies,etc!)--but that was quite some time ago,might not be there now!--many yards here have "crushed out" their entire lot and gone under,or just don't keep any older stuff anymore...

There are ads for 4x4 Chevy parts in the "Want Advertiser" --one place in Ashby MA sells tons of drivtrains and stuff "Tracy's" ?? might be the name?..

Anyhow,if I run across one I'll let you know...I see lots of 4x4's going to the crusher here almost daily,but once they get in the scrapyard,stripping parts isn't easy..I've been hoisted in the air by a forkloader while attempting to strip a good dash pad out of one truck I was sitting in!..I thought I'd be squished,it was a good thing my friend yelled at the driver and told him I was still in the cab!...:eek1: ..they frown upon letting us roam the yard,and remove parts, due to all the heavy equipment..

3. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

A friend of mine has a 2wd SM465 complete with hydro bellhousing. Its located in Franklin, MA.

But that my be too far for you in NH.

4. Greg72

How far is that from Arlington? I drive down Rte 2E (through Winchendon, etc) quite a bit....anywhere close to that?

Any idea on a price? :deal:

5. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

it would be off exit 16 on 495 so its closer to Rhode Island that New Hampsire.

Arlington is about 45mins from here.
    I'm not sure of the price.
    I'll PM you the guy's number is you want?

6. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Greg,

I have one down here in Joysey out of my 77 K5 I could let you have cheap if all else fails...

7. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Need more info on this experimenting :deal::D

8. vtblazer

vtblazer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have one but I'm way far away...:p:

AND it still needs to come out of the truck.

9. Greg72

I was planning to add it in a creative way to my existing ProTools M105HD tubing bender.....

The idea is not working out from and engineering perspective, though it would have been cool to have a 4-speed shifter on a piece of bending equipment.

:D

10. vtblazer

vtblazer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Are you looking for a complete tranny or just the shift lever?

11. Greg72

I needed the whole thing......the 6.55:1 reduction of 1st Gear was part of the plan....being able the shift into "reverse" would have been pretty slick too.

The engineering was solved to do what I wanted, but the parts costs (besides the SM465) were too high to make it practical.

I am going with a modified version of a hydro setup that will allow me to bend 180* without re-pinning the dies (still pretty cool!) and I should be able to do the whole conversion for around $500..... that's the target anyway.

No real rush on the project, I just like figuring stuff like this out.

:usaflag: