Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SM465 availability and price

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BigBurban350, Dec 2, 2002.

1. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gifIs it hard to find sm465's? What kind of price range?

Also, is it difficult to adapt the clutch linkage onto a truck that is an automatic?

2. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

465's can be had from free to about $300 although I wouldn't pay more than $200 for one..i would go with a hydro clutch setup and leave the linkage system for the birds...
    Chris

3. fortcollinsram

oh and they are pretty easy to find...in everything from 1/2ton to 2-1/2 ton trucks both 2 and 4wd...

Chris

4. fortcollinsram

oh, one more thing, they were used from the late 60's (like 68) until like the late 80's...

Chris

5. oatsk5

oatsk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The prices may vary here on the western slope of co there getting 4 to 500 hundred bucks. I know where there are Three for sale one with 205 t-case and the others are 2wd
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. fortcollinsram

damn thats pricy...I bought one recently for $150...

7. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

They're pretty common and I bought my 465/205 with adapter for $300, so you can find a good deal if you look.

Will

8. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I don't know bud, Speed Direct now has that new linkage for Chevy trucks with rod ends to prevent binding. Just get you a soft spring and you've got it made. Check it out here:
    Clutch linkage

9. fortcollinsram

That linkage may take care of the bind problem may people experience, but it still requires adjustment as the clutch disc wears and unless the alter the stock linkage lockations, strong clutches [read: 12" disc with HD press. plate} will still gives you left leg a workout...Basically, if you need a bwllhousing anyway, I would go hydro...besides, if you have an 85 or later truck, all the mounting locations are stamped on the sheetmetal for you...the clutch in my k5 requires EASILY 1/2 as much efort as my 1971 C10 clutch does and it is self adjusting...It comes down to personal preference and I prefer the hydro setup...

Chris

10. blazerman383

blazerman383 Registered Member

Chris, I was reading your advice on hydro-clutch vs. mechanical....how would I go about converting my '72 K5? I have the 465 tranny and after 2 years with it a larger than normal left leg....HA! Seriously, can you offer some wisdom? Thanks, Mike.

11. fortcollinsram

Just get the hydro parts from an 85 up K5, K10, etc. I got all the parts new form www.gmpartsdirect.com for a reasonable price...you will need the master and slave cylinder, the hose between the two, the hydro bellhousing or the adapter from advance adapters to use a slave on the mech. bellhousing...the hardest part about your conversion will be locating the master cylinder on the firewall...maybe someone who had dome the conversion on a Gen I can chime in on that issue...Good Luck...

Chris

12. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

that will not fix the problem on 4x4's

the problem is the frame and body flex when you are in the twistys
    you can get stuck in places that the linkage will no longer reach to disengage the clutch.
    hydro is immune to that problem

13. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Yep, my '77 used to do that. If I got it twisted up just right, then the clutch pedal would slam to the floor when pressed, but wouldn't disengage the clutch. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

14. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

send a PM to "arq"
    he has done this. he did a few things in an odd manner, but it works and it looks good.
    i converted my 74 to it. i didnt have the locations stamped in my firewall, but i just mounted the pedals, drilled through the inside of the mount bolt brackets for the cylander and then put a backing plate on it off the donar truck.
    Grant

15. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

What years did this hydro clutch setup come on? Have most of these been taken from trucks at salvage yards? /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

16. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

85 and up