Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sm465 bellhousing 15" crack

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stus84, Mar 21, 2005.

1. stus84

stus84 1/2 ton status

Mornin guys - I picked up a 84 Blazer a couple weeks ago, doing some hard wheeling up here in MN and crakced the bellhousing. I did a search and didnt see any tips for removal just wondering if you guys had any. Is it best to romove the case & the tranny at the same time or just any general tips would be appreciated. Thanks! I have pics but am not sure how to post them yet.. I just got all signed up this mornin.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I had written up a big long thing, but after my experience yesterday, I think INSTALLING them seperately in the end is easier. Pulling together is probably easiest, because you can use the crossmember for a floorjack.

The 465 is hard to line the clutch up anyways, since the top of the case hits the floorpan, at least in my truck. (not much clearance as installed) If the engine is angled WAY down (as much as possible) this will be easier. if the t-case is hanging off the end, and the engine doesn't angle down enough, I suspect both the tranny and the t-case would hit the floor pan as you try and reinstall.

3. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I had a heck of a time putting my 465 in without a transfer case on it or without a cab on it. I kept trying to do it with the bellhousing already on and then putting the trans into the bellhousing and clutch. Eventually I gave up and had success with having the bellhousing bolted to the trans and then sliding it on to the motor.

4. ilikeitloud

ilikeitloud 1/2 ton status

personally for me i like doing the tranny and then the t-case. i think thats the easiest way..

off-topic i see that you live in MN. where in MN do you live.

5. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

I have an excellent aluminum sm465 bellhousing.... 20.00 and the ride

if that will help at all

cam

6. stus84

stus84 1/2 ton status

thanks

looks like I will try to pull it all together then install bellhousing, tranny & case seperate. Thanks again.... Stue (Ham Lake, MN)

7. stus84

stus84 1/2 ton status

thanks cam

I have one on the way already though.