Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SM465 bellhousing? Different sizes?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TopOff, Apr 17, 2002.

1. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Ohh Gawd,

Centerforce is telling my I need to find out what sm465 bellhousing I have. According to Larry at CF, there is a 168 tooth (12 inch) flywheel and appropriate bellhousing and a 153 tooth (11 inch) flywheel and appropriate bellhousing. These differing bellhousings will make the difference on what flywheel I need to get (400 balanced).

I THOUGHT the BELLHOUSINGS would ALL be the SAME?
    Can anyone shed some light on this?
    Is there a part number or something i should be lookiing for?

I was told the trans came out of a 79 chevy 4x4.

What a pain... /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

2. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Ummmm...I was unaware that there are TWO different bellhousings...I am using GM# 15530202...and i will be using the Center Force DF024909..hope this helps...

I hope there aren't two different bellhousings or I might be screwed...

Chris

3. fortcollinsram

BTW, I am using a 168-tooth flywheel...and the clutch is 12"

4. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

i think they are talking about the size of your flywheel? last time i checked my bellhousing does not have teeth.

5. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

i have like 5 or 6 bell housings and they are all the same. as for the flywheels, i also got like 3-4 and some are smaller and some are bigger. i think it's the flywheel they are talking about.

ARQ.

6. fortcollinsram

Um yea...now it makes sense /forums/images/icons/wink.gif I bet he was talking about the flywheel...The come in two sizes, 168 tooth and 153 tooth...I have the 163 tooth and it is GM# 10105832; that is for a 30lb 1985-and-later flywheel for a one-piece RMS...I don't have the PN for the 2-piece RMS....But he is talking about the flywheel, that's my guess...Man...I have GOT to go to bed...I can't even make sense of my own ramblings...

Chris

7. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

The bellhousing I have from a 72 truck the starter bolts to the bellhousing. Do the later ones do the same? Or does the starter bolt up to the motor like it does with an auto?

8. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I wish I had that bellhousing. My block is cracked where the starter bolts to it.

I am and Larry at CF was talking about two different size bellhousing for the appropriate flywheel. IDEALLY, I would like to get a balanced 158 or 153 (whatever) tooth flywheel.

I ASSUMED my 383 is internally balanced, as the con-rods and pistons where all weighed and the crank was counter balanced. The front Dampner is also balanced, along with the flexplate.
    I assumed ALL engines are balanced! WTF?

Oh well, I guess I need to visit the local GM parts guy, hopefully he will have a clue about the earlier years and the 400s. Unless someone with a 383 can chime in with their experience???

TIA
    TO

9. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Check some local wrecking yards and look for a 72 or earlier truck bellhousing, it will have engine mounts on the side of it.
    they used them on 2wd trucks instaid of a rear crossmember. In 4x4 use you don't use the bell housing mounts. Be sure to get the starter too. It works with a 168 tooth flywheel.

10. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

On your 383 ask the tech who built it if he internally balanced it? If he did then you use a 350 flywheel, if not then you need a 400sb flywheel.

11. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

That't half my problem I bought the rotating assembly as a kit. Of course the company is no longer available. All I remember is that they were located in Santa Fe, CA. They called the 383 a Mighty Mouse. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

I understand it is internally balanced within 1 gram. Meaning the rods and crank are balanced as a set. I had to put them in specific location cylinder number etc.

12. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

most 383s need the 400sb dampener and flywheel. Is this motor running now? There would be alot of heavy metal weights in the crank if internally balanced. They may have just balanced all the parts to each other and balanced the crank with the external parts on it.

13. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

"balanced the crank with the external parts on it"
    I believe this is what they did. The crank has many holes in it for balancing.
    I will just put down some money for the flywheel. I wish I could get a 153 tooth flywheel. Oh-well.
    Thanks for the info!!!

14. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

You don't want a 153 tooth flywheel. With the big flywheel you can run a 12" clutch much stronger. And a bigger flywheel is heavier, better for offroad except maybe sand drags.

15. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Unless your engine case is cracked on this outside starter position for the 168 tooth ring gear... /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

OH well, with a stick, I can push start it... RIGHT?!?! (that will be day when I can push start my 5800lb blazer).

16. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Find a '72 or earlier bellhosing the starter bolts into the bellhousing on mine. 8>)