Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SM465 bellhousing Q?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mitchelm, Jan 19, 2006.

1. mitchelm

mitchelm Registered Member

Okay, so doing the sm465 swap for what seems to be a saginaw 3 speed on my 72 blazer. I have the sm465, transfer case adapter and a new 205 to go with it. My question is, before i teake everything apart, will the bellhousing from my heavy duty 3 speed work with the sm465. Or will i need a different one, along with probably all new clutch components. Thanks. Dont want to tear into my truck again, and then not beable to swap everything and have my truck sitting again.

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I don't know for sure...but I would guess you need a 465 bell. I would think the bolt pattern is different on the 3speed...but again I don't know for sure:confused:

3. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

When I was preparing to swap my three speed for the SM465 I was told the hole in the bellhousing where the transmission attaches is different sizes. I never confirmed as I used a hydraulic clutch bellhousing when I swapped in the SM465. I had other people tell me they were the same. Sorry I can't give you a definite answer.

4. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

i just took this set up out of my 68 burb to put in a 465-208. the bell housing will bolt up if you through bolt the bottom two holes. the bad thing is you have to run the funky 3 bolt starter instead , it bolts to the bellhousing and not the motor.

5. mitchelm

mitchelm Registered Member

i see. damn 3 spds. haha. I wound up buying the correct sm465 bellhousing off of ebay. I let you guys know what happens. Thanks again for all the help

Mike