Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SM465 clank in 3rd

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Langosta39, Mar 18, 2003.

1. Langosta39

Langosta39 1/2 ton status

When the tranny is cold it makes no noises but after it warms up it clanks when shifting into/out of 3rd, sometimes it makes the noise when engaging/disengaging the clutch in 3rd. Now the sounds doesn't sound like something in the tranny, it sounds almost like hitting a exhaust pipe with a hammer, it is a hollow sound. The tranny was rebulit 200 miles ago and only recently started the noise, 200 miles on clutch and related parts, and the tranny was just filled with lube.

thanks
    andy

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Is it only when clutching? Like is it when you put it in third or when you put it in third and let out the clutch? Nothing in fourth? I was having a little clunk(not relalyt eh same sound) when i shifted and it was a horribly bad u joint.

3. Langosta39

Langosta39 1/2 ton status

It happens sometimes when clutching, but also, and almost everytime I slide it in and out of 3rd. I even try to match engine speed to the shift and shift very gently and it still makes the noise. I ocassionally hear it with 4th.

andy