Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sm465 clutch and power and mustard

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mudddog91, Aug 3, 2001.

1. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

Hey anyone running a centerforce clutch with one of these off road?I need to change my clutch cause every time I climb over that big boulder pile my clutch decides to take up smoking!Which clutch would you guys reccomend??????

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I've run Napa's heavy duty clutches on SM465's and NP235's with no slipping at all. The only trouble I ever had was one that had a defective disc that literally exploded the first time I engaged it.

Generic Signature
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

3. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

When you replace, make sure your flywheel is free of oil. wipe it off with brake cleaner.

Then make sure the linkage is adjusted right.

What's your motor/gearing/tire size?

Lift It, Lock It, LIVE IT!!!

4. ScoobyDann

ScoobyDann 1/2 ton status

El Paso, TX (Far West Texas near Las Cruses
    i got the centerforce II. love it takes a real beating and it keeps going

sun desert offroad http://community.webshots.com/user/scoobydann

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

My friend has one with a truck with a 350 with 3.73 gears on 44s and has no problems. He has the dual friction. Oh yeah, he never uses 4 low. Never.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

6. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

Im running a 383 stroker,4.10:1 gears and hopefully a set of 38's.I smoked the clutch while running 33's!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

As for the mustard, I recomend Grey Poupon.......
    lol, sorry, couldnt resist.

8. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

are you saying that with 3.73 gears and 44 inch tires, he never uses 4low when wheeling? That shocks me!

9. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I am running the CenterForce II clutch kit. The presure plate is sweet!! it has multipul fingers and balance weights. I have had it in my rig for 5+ yrs now and still on the same adjustment, never been an issue while off roading. It has allways hooked up and I have yet to smell any buringclutchsmell. WAY better than that damn 3 finger pressure plate I took out!! Oh ya eaither get a new flywheel or have your resurfaced...
    CenterForce ROCKS!!!

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/baja/5099>www.geocities.com/baja/5099</a>

10. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

I think im sold on the centerforce clutch idea....but I have yet another problem....has anyone ever had to replace bushings in the linkage that is btween the frame and transmission?Ive got alot of flex in there whenevr I hit a bump or get tweaked off road it moves the clutch pedal and all....Ive got brand new motor and tranny mounts so I know thats not the problem.Help please?&gt;

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Hmm. Everyone on the car lists has had bad luck with centerforce. Not so here it appears. I used a Sachs (probably prounounced "sucks" lol) diaphram style (multiple fingers, not 3) and it kicks ass. Nice and smooth, and I haven't made it slip except when I was going 10mph in 4th (or is it 3rd guys lol) and had the gas to the floor.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen