Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sm465 clutch link removal

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chebywanna, Jun 24, 2003.

1. chebywanna

chebywanna 1/2 ton status

im pulling out sm465 out of my truck and can't get the part that mounts to the frame on one side and to the tranny on other to come off, whats the trick? i took the nut off the frame side of it but that didn't help any. (the rotating pipe type thing)

2. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

you talking about the Z-bar?? I think you need to disconnect the linkage that goes to the pedal. there's probably some pressure on there that's binding it. once you take it off the frame side pull out on it. it just slides into a rotating ball/shaft.
    ARQ.

3. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

I'm no expert but I think you have to take the bracket thats riveted to the frame off.
    I just swapped a 465 into my K10 and the only way I could see to get the Z bar(pipe thingy) off is to either drop the trans and bellhousing or remove the rivets that hold the bracket to the frame.
    The nut you mentioned is on the stud that is on the Z bar. This is the pivot point for the linkage. It must be removed to take the Z bar out. But since the Zbar is sandwiched between the ball on the bellhousing and the bracket on the frame, you must remove 1 of the 2 to get it out.
    When I did my swap I torched off the rivets on the bracket of the donor and bolted it to the frame on the new truck so it can be removed easily later.
    hope this is some /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

4. chebywanna

i got the pedal linkage to the pedal disconnected, its rotating freely just won't come off. thanks K1 but thats not what i wanted to hear /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif, gotta say thats a chity design, some jap crap designer probaboly had a hand in it.
    thanks for the info.

5. mcmlxix

mcmlxix Registered Member

You might be able to unbolt the motor mount and lift it up enough to get the Z-bar out. I pulled the motor when I did it so It didnt matter. I also just pulled the trans to sell it and I had to grind off the existing bolts the get the bracket off. I am swaping over to an automatic.

6. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

Just let me go wheelin' with it... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Everytime I've taken my blazer in the woods for a little fun I've popped the z-bar off the tranny at least once. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Really all you should have to do is unscrew the nut on the frame and if you can't easily get it to slide over far enough just use a prybar for leverage.

7. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Are you Z bars held in any differently then my 72? All i had to do was undo the rod to the pedal, loosen the bolt and the Z bar slid out and up out of the bracket.

8. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

Like I mentioned in my other post... I have trouble keeping it ON so I really can't see where the problem is with the other guy.

All of the manual clutch chevy's I've seen were the same and were very (almost too) easy to pop off.

Actually to drop the transmission he could get away with leaving the Z-bar connected to the frame and just pull the transmission a little to the side to seperate the Z-bar. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

9. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

what year is it?

10. chebywanna

yeah thats what i did after the guy said it just falls off, i just didn't want to brake it when i was pulling the tranny out (thought it was bolted on on both sides), i like to remove all connections before dropping something that weighs in several hundred punds category. its out np. thanks for the info.
    and its a 77.

ps. i the z bar on mine didn't move more then 1/8" side to side, and that wasn't enough to get it off, might be all gummed up or something.