Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SM465 / Clutch Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 87K54WD, Aug 3, 2001.

1. 87K54WD

87K54WD 1/2 ton status

Lately, I have been having a small, short grind of the gears (less than a sec) when I go from 1st to 2nd. It does not happen going from 3rd to 2nd. Also, it does not happen when going to 1st to 2nd while sitting in idle. It doesn't happen everytime just every so often. Just started about a week ago. I've ruled out human error. Any ideas or suggestions. Only have about 83,000 original miles. Clutch has been replaced once. Keep in mind that by saying 1st gear I am not talking about the creeper / granny gear. Thanks again for any input.

2. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

Thanks for not calling Low "first".

you didn't mention what year you have, but if it has the manual linkage, try adjusting your linkage.

In the, 465 sometimes the 2nd gear synchro goes bad. Does it ever fall out of 2nd?

Lift It, Lock It, LIVE IT!!!

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Sorry low=first...

There are four gears, and I have yet to see a zero gear. Just because second gear is what you usually start off in does not change it to first gear. The 'low' designation is a throwback to the 40 and 50's when 3 speed manuals were way more common.

I'd say the synchro between 2dn and third is prolly worn...

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

4. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

Sorry. Low=Low. Both my 1974 and 1983 shifters are marked this way
    L2
    13 R

Also, my 1983 and 1984 Manuals have this nomenclature.
    Phord uses 1,2,3,4....

5. tRustyK5

Well that must be right cuz it says so on the shifter...

Um sure.

4 forwrd gears, one reverse...call it what you like but the lowest gear is still the first in a series of 4. Even GM's literature describes it as a 4 speed not a 3 speed with a low gear.

Rene

6. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

WTF? If that's what it says on the shifter, why would you call it something else?!?

Low is called low because it is not used in normal driving.
    You don't include low range on the transfer case when you talk about what gear you're in.
    "Well, I normally start out in fifth gear, skip seventh and end up in eigth...."

What next, a Chevy is really a GMC, even though it has a Bowtie on the grill?

7. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

In the immortal words of Rodney KIng, " Cant we all just get along".

82 K5, 6.2L Diesel, sm465, np205, 14 bolt welded, 8 lug 10 bolt lock right, 410 gears, 35" Mud Kings
    SPEAK SOFTLY AND DRIVE A BIG TRUCK

8. tRustyK5

Well I can see calling it low and hi range as there are only two ranges to choose from.

I'll stick to calling it first...like it matters in the grand scheme of things.

BTW my GMC Jimmy is a healthy mix of GMC and Chevy...not really sure what to call it[​IMG]

Relax...

Rene

9. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i agree with rene relax some people call it low some people call it 1st so is one right and not the other no you are both right it is the first gear in a series of gears and on the shifter nob it dose say L 1st 2nd 3rd and reverse so you are both right[​IMG]

wheeling videoshttp://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333

10. JoeAngelicchio

JoeAngelicchio 1/2 ton status

Rene, you at it again? Your so particular...[​IMG]

<font color=green>Joe Angelicchio
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/jangelicchio>http://community.webshots.com/user/jangelicchio</a>

Lisle, Ontario, CANADA</font color=green>

11. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

yeah, in literature they refer to them as 4 speeds, and list 1,2,3,4. That's the way dodge does it as well (at least now anyways) and chevy has done this as well in the past. My shifter says L 123, but I start in the real second, the 3.58 gear.

12. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

The shifter on my '70 says 1,2,3,4,R. No low. I think the average person was just too stupid to figure out how to NOT USE 1st gear, so GM had to rename it to low. Low is for people with LOW intelligence ;-) j/k.

And yes, I agree that your 3rd gear synchro is wearing out.

Tim

70 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    87 Burb 4X4 350
    01 GMC 2500HD 4X4 Duramax/Allison

13. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Yup my 72 has 1,2,3,4 on my 465. I too refer to it as 1st gear. I do say my first gear is a Granney Low, but I have a 4spd not a 3spd.....

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/baja/5099>www.geocities.com/baja/5099</a>

14. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Hey, Ill solve the problem for y'all. Low, er.. First = Granny! [​IMG]. I always say granny or granny low, or low.

Now as far as the original question, it depends on which setup you have. Do you have Manual Linkage? If so, adjust the linkage to compensate for the disengaging of your clutch. Sounds like your body is binding when you accelerate and the linkage doesn't have enough travel to disengage the clutch fully, thus causing the grinding. Plus, with that many miles on a clutch, the pressure plate may need replacing. Rene was also good on his observation, perhaps the syncros are going bad. See, when you are sitting still or at idle, you are not spinning the transmission at all when you depress the clutch. When driving you have the rear wheels moving the transmission even when you depress the clutch (when moving). This would cause the tranny to not shift freely when being driven vs. at idle, standing still. Hope this makes sense.

Mudzer 1978/91 K5
    <font color=blue>www.mudzer.rockcrawler.com</font color=blue>