Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sm465 crossmember

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1bad82k5, Jul 1, 2001.

1. 1bad82k5

1bad82k5 1/2 ton status

I just finished swapping in my 14 bolt ff and a d44. I am now swapping in my sm465 and np205. I have a whole donor truck, which is now completely torn down. Now i have to put the tranny and tcase in the k5. What i need to know is, will the crossmember out of my donor truck put the tranny and tcase in the right place if i bolt it to my old crossmember holes. The k5 used to have a 700r4 and np208. I think i will probably just bolt it up, see if my front driveshaft is in the right place, and play it by ear. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    eric

Don't get me started, you know how i get.

2. scrapmetal

scrapmetal 1/2 ton status

When I change mine out I had a TH350 and 203TF and it was about as long as yours, mine bolted right up to the same holes. The 465 and 205 mounting locations are in the same place. When I put a TH350 with a 205TH, in place of a TH400 and 208TF I had to drill new holes. But otherwise it should bolt up.

Never been stuck, just temporarily delayed.
    When in doubt,,, put'er to the wood

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Re-use the same crossmember on your Blazer and forget about the older crossmember. They are in the same locations and the holes for the mounts are the same too.

<font color=red>I m so we Todd did.
    I m sofa king we Todd did.</font color=red>

4. 1bad82k5

1bad82k5 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the advice. Even if they don't bolt up directly, i'll make it work. can't wait to get it back on the road.
    eric

Don't get me started, you know how i get.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

My experience with the SM465/205 combo I put in my former 700R4 equipped truck was that I had to get a newer (81-up) crossmember that was FLAT. the double hump ones won't work AFAIC, because they are too tall for the SM465 tranny mount. I doubt the uneven "humped" crossmember of the same vintage would work.

With the 700 out, I had to drill new holes in the frame for the 465, mine didn't have them in the right location. The older crossmembers form the 70's don't work, the frame is different width in that location.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen