Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sm465 from what???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by arq, Jun 15, 2003.

1. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

I meant what the sm465 came out of???

I just got back from what i thought was a deal. I got a 32 spline long input np205 and, what i thought, a matching 465 to go with it.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

when i got home i noticed the missing notch on the adapter. I have a pic of the th400 and the sm465 adapters. The sm465 output shaft is 32 spline male and the np205 input shaft is a matching 32spline female.
    The second thing i noticed was the output shaft on the sm465 is about 1/2" too long and will have to be trimmed. I may also have issues with getting the np205 levers, but it seems like it would be a bullet proof setup. anyone have any pros/cons???
    [​IMG]

here's the rest of the pics.

ARQ.

2. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

try and get U2SLOW to see this stuff
    I am betting he can ID it

3. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

wow that is dirty inside there.how long did it sit in the rain.that looks nothing like mine but i have the older 10 spline adapter.i didnt know they changed the looks that much in the newer years.

4. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

it sat under a shed for a few years, i think. it does not look as bad it's just dark in that tunnel. it's the inside that matters, looks really oily and smells nasty /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I am thinking it's from a dodge. but then again i thought the dodge sm465 input shaft was different. they were sitting right next to each other with a pile of other xcases and trannies. it looked like a match when i saw them.
    /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif
    ARQ.

5. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I thought Dodges fot the 435 rather than the 465?

6. 1972Blazer

1972Blazer 1/2 ton status

I would think that NP205 was a divorced application by the look of the shaft. It looks as if it had some sort of slip yoke on it and the small cover around the shaft looks like it has a seal. The pictures are very hard to see it up close. I wonder if it can be modified for the big bearing and converted so as to use in a doubler application, that would make it worth something. Hope that helps a little.

7. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

the np205 is the big bearing type. It uses the long input 32spline female. I am sure what the np205 is. it's the tranny that i am not sure about. what it came out of??

The tranny has the np465 stamp on the side. looks identical to my 10spline output 465. It could of been mounted to a np203 /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif i think i'll go back and see if i can dig it up /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ARQ.

8. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

That's a SM465 that was mated to a late (85-up?) NP208, NP241, or BW t-case. The older one has a longer foot. The NP205 adapter for that SM465 is about 2" longer still.

edit: That aluminum shift tower is from an 88-91 "new style" truck. It brings the shifter back a few inches. That tower and t-case did not come from the same truck however.

older:
    [​IMG]

newer:
    [​IMG]

np205 type:
    [​IMG]

9. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

told ya U2SLOW would know that at a glance

10. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

u2slow, you're the man /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif