Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SM465 Hard down shifting from 2nd to 1st

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by yunit, Apr 1, 2001.

1. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

SM465 Hard down shifting from 2nd to 1st. Is this natural with this trans or is there something wrong with the syncro's? It does not grind or anything down shifting into 1st, but I gotta really pull on her to get it in.

1978 K5, Palisades Park, NJ 07650

2. Brians 60s

Brians 60s 1/2 ton status

it's natural. first, granny gear does not have a syncro. you almost have to be stopped to go into first

"IF YOU'VE NEVER BEEN STUCK.....YOU'VE NEVER BEEN WHEELIN"!!!

3. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

I actually mean 3rd to 2nd, not 1st to Low. Sorry if you thought the other way.

1978 K5, Palisades Park, NJ 07650

4. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Totally natural. Even the Ford 4speed equivalent NP435, I think, shifts the same way. No big deal.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

5. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

So does mine. I think its a gear ratio spread thing. I think the ratios are; 6.5 low- 3.5 1st- 1.5 2nd- 1.0 3rd, or close enuff to get the idea.

Twiztid

6. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

I've had good luck with an additive called Gear Guard M (w/moly) on my hard shifting motorcycle. Haven't tried it on a truck yet. It kinda expensive @ $20.00 a quart but that should be enough to do the transmissision and transfer.

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I've got to be doing under 15 MPH to downshift to second on mine. Sometimes if I double clutch it will go in a bit easier. As far as I know this is perfectly normal. I've had three of these tranny's and all did this.

Rene

[​IMG]<A target="_blank" HREF=http://jules.coloradok5.com>http://jules.coloradok5.com</A>

8. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

My 82 K30 does the same thing. I even tried down shifting while the brakes were applied HARD, and sliding, while on mud. That works, but when I let off the clutch, instead of the tires spinning along with the speed I was going, they kind of "braked" the truck to a slower speed and almost like skidding in the mud.

9. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

totally normal. someone gave me a general rule to follow.......the beefier the tranny, the harder its going to shift (especially downshifting). thats why the little rice burners have very light and smooth shifting trannies.
    on one of my old trucks i tried something, i modified the brake and accel. pedals so i could heel and toe them. that way you easily blip the accel pedal when you are on the brakes for easier shifing.
    but i did such a crappy job, and did not do it on my current rig.

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com

10. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

Yup, normal, helps if you give it a little gas to match the rpms of what ever gear you'll be going in when downshifting. ie, clutch and brake, slip off brake give a little gas and slide it in gear, brake some more or drop the hammer.

[​IMG]

11. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

yes this is very natural

77blazer see it at<A target="_blank" HREF=http://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333>http://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333</A>[​IMG]

12. Logan

Logan Registered Member

Mine does it too...

Annoying as hell, since there's a big power hole there... Coming up on a sharp turn followed by a hill.... You know you should be in 2nd, your engine *really* knows you should be in 2nd, but the tranny's convinced that 3rd is just fine. You get to choose to take the corner too fast, or way too slow. I think big tires/improper gearing throw it way off, too.

Every standard car/truck I've ever driven has something in the tranny that makes it hard to shift into 1st (2nd in this case) while you're still moving... Still, if there was a way to get rid of this 'feature', I probably would. It's the only thing I really don't like about my truck.

-Al.