Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SM465, Hard shift, all gears. Clutch/tranny are out, problem not found

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by FWP, Dec 13, 2002.

1. FWP

FWP CRS

The problem started recently, and got has gotten worse. Shifting is difficult, unless the motor is not running. Clutch spin down time is less than 9 seconds. Clutch fork, stud , and linkages are ok. Clutch disc has plenty of life left, pressure plate has no bent or broken springs/ fingers. Pilot bushing is worn out, as well as the throwout bearing (typical wear). The nose on the input bearing retainer isn't worn down or gouged out. All the syncros are ok, plenty of room left for wear.

Am I missing something???? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

If you shift w/o the clutch, is the tranny still difficult to get into gear...?

Chris

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Have you inspected the shift tower and shift forks for damage or binding?

Rene

4. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

check your cab/dash area around the pedal brackets and linkage, if something is cracked/flexing the pedal travel will be lost and not provide full release to the pressure plate.

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I am with fortcollinsram on this one.

this would help determine if it is tranny or clutch related

6. FWP

FWP CRS

No, with the clutch out, it shift's fine (motor not running)

Shift rails and forks are ok, as well as the cab linkages.

7. FWP

FWP CRS

How bout broken bell housing bolts? /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif. When I was taking it off, one bolt was loose, and I only removed 4 bolts total. I didn't think anything of it at the time, it was late. I get to cleaning stuff up today, and notice 2 bolts broke off in the block- oooops /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

8. fortcollinsram

It may shift fine when the input shaft isn't spinning. How does the tranny shift when you don't use the clutch WHEN DRIVING...the 465 is a piece of cake to rev-match..if it is still difficult to shift when the clutch isn't used, I would suspect a problem in the tranny. if is shifts fine w/o use of the clutch when driving, then it is a clutch release problem...

Missing/Loose bellhousing bolts MAY contribute to a clutch release problem. but only if they were loose enough to let the tranny/bellhousing move around. Was ther a gap between the bellhousing and the block when you removed everything?This could cause some big problems... The clutch disc would sit at an angle with respect to the flywheel and pressure plate when the clutch is disengaged and when you engaged the clutch, the disc my not center correctly and will cause RAPID wear on the tranny input splines and clutch disc splines...

Chris

9. FWP

FWP CRS

Thanks Chris, I understand what you're saying. I could shift (rev match) without the clutch ok. That's a good troubleshooting idea, I wish I would have thought of it /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Don't know how loose the bell housing was, I wasn't paying attention. At least it's not cracked......I'm replacing the clutch parts (warranty), and putting it back together. I think it will be fine. Worst case, I have to drop the tranny again and tear it down for R&R.

Thanks everyone for the help!

10. fortcollinsram

just make sure that you have all six bolts holding the bellhousing to the block...also, get your flywheel machined, even if it is in decent shape. if the disc was at an angle between the pressure plate and the flywheel, it could have worn the flywheel unevenly. aslo, I would install a new pilot bushing for insurance...many people don't realize it, but the bellhousings ability to align the transmission shaft perpendicular to the plane of the flywheel is almost as important as its ability to support the load place on it by the shear weight of the 465 tranny.if the tranny is shifting well w/o the use of the clutch, and the clutch release hardware (shift fork, linkage, etc) is working properly, a fresh flywheel surface and a new clutch should theoretically take care of all your problems... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifGood luck buddy...

Chris