Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SM465 Hard shifting

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by petryshyn, May 1, 2006.

1. petryshyn

petryshyn 1/2 ton status

After installing my new (well relativly new tranny) into my blazer I find it impossible to **** my transmission while the engine is running. (Shifts relativley easily when engine is off)

I searched and read this http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58331&highlight=sm465+hard+shifting
    So basically I checked all the bellhousing bolts, and almost everything else seems to be fine, new clutch, machined flywheel. The only sketchy part comes on my clutch linkage.

I got a mechanical linkage, and I think my linkage is the problem, how do I adjust the linkage correctly and how can I check the shift fork(is it possible this is causing the hard shifting)

Thanks

2. zeroz400

zeroz400 1/2 ton status

Are you sure your clutch is fully disengaged when your pressing the pedal down? Does it move when you have the clutch pressed and in gear? My clutch linkage was to short and i pretty much lost my clutch making it a bear to force into gear. Its easier to grind it into low gear too.

Did you use all the components from another truck or did you make your linkage?

3. petryshyn

petryshyn 1/2 ton status

I used all the linkages from the donor truck, and the truck doesn't move when the clutch is depressed, but it fells like unless the pedal is all the way to the floor (with about 1" or so of travel before the clutch seems to engage when depressing) that the clutch is on the edge of not engaging fully. (Makes sense in my head at least)

Also you said your linkage was too short, was that the bar that goes from the pedal or the actual linkage to the fork?

4. zeroz400

zeroz400 1/2 ton status

Right now mines the same way, the clutch engages about an inch from the floor. So its to short, my test was on a hill with the tranny in gear see how far you have to press the pdeal till it disengages. I made my own linkage to its a bit different situation but sounds like you could use a longer link. And the link im talking about is from the pedal to the z-bar. The adjustability is in the peice that goes to the fork.

I aint the smartest peanut in the turd when it comes to all this so hopefully someone more knowledgable will chime in soon.

5. petryshyn

petryshyn 1/2 ton status

So if I do the test on the hill how far should the clutch be depressed so that the transmission is not engaged, should it be a few inches from the floor? Or how do I tell if i would try that test.