Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SM465 hard to shift into 2nd when cold

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Chris Demartini, Nov 11, 2001.

1. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I have noticed that its hard to get into second gear after the truck has been sitting for a while. I just changed the fluid (90wt gear oil), could that be it? Or is this just something that these transmisions do (I noticed it on a few other 465s I've driven)?

2. NYC K5

NYC K5 1/2 ton status

i think its just something these tranys do. i notice when i use mine alot it is easier to shift. sometimes its so hard for me to downshift to first i have to use 2 hands, and thats not just with my truck but with a plow truck i work with.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I find that it does take more effort to shift when the gear oil is cold...so I just take it easy on it til the oil warms up some. I think it's pretty common for these tranny's.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The colder it gets, the thicker the gear oil gets, making it harder for the synchros to get lined up. Synthetic gear lube in the trans will often minimize the hard-shift-when-cold syndrome.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

5. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

I have noticed it in mine. It is a PITA when I need to get moving in a hurry.
    We have about 1000 gallons of 75/90 synthetic Mobile at the shop.
    If synthetic will help I might just try it.

<font color=green> Too bad ignorance isn't painful </font color=green>

6. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Mine is the same way. Last winter it hit 0 degrees one night and the next day I was barely able to shift till she warmed up.

1987 Jimmy Sierra Classic, Palisades Park, NJ 07650

7. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

ahhh yes, the advantages of living in Arizona. when I had an SM465, I never had this problem with gear oil freezing... generaly due to the AZ climate, it was about as thin as any water... I had the second gear shift fork wear out on mine once... that was a real pain, driving around with no second until I got up enough courage to call a junkyard... a new top only cost me 20 bucks, which was one helluva surprise to me... I was thinking it was going to run me in the hundreds. on a positive note, I got to see the inner workings of my transmission, and see how bullet proof it really was. there were absolutely no dings, chips, or worn spots anywhere on the gearsets. pretty good for having been the tranny I learned to drive stick with.

-Rich

My truck isn't ugly, you have a skewed sense of beauty

<font color=blue>2007 Ford XLS++ intrepid Ram Superduty 7000 R-type's suck</font color=blue>

8. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Hey Rich,
    I'm in TX and also never have to worry about too thick gear oil. But your comment about replacing the 2nd gear shift fork is interesting. My tranny likes to jump out of 2nd sometimes just from the weight of the shifter itself! Is that what yours did?
    And how hard was it to take the thing apart? I've had the tranny out of the truck before, but was that enitrely necessary or can you just remove the bolt-in tranny tunnel?
    -- Mike

<font color=blue> The mud's on it to hide that it's more than one color.[​IMG]

9. tRustyK5

Remove the shifters and unbolt the tunnel. To remove the top cover on the SM 465 install the shifter again and shift it halfway into reverse. Now remove the shifter and unbolt the top cover...
    Halfway into reverse is the only position that allows the cover to be removed or re-installed. You'll see why once it's apart.[​IMG]

Rene

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

10. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Rene, much appreciated - I did not know that.
    Do you know if it's a simple thing to replace the forks?
    I know I shold probably get a thick manual about it, but if it's a well-duh kind of thing, I'll just tackle it.
    And that would be the most likely cuklprit of it jumping out of 2nd, correct? The synchro helps the gears to mesh, but the fork hold the gears in place, right?
    -- Mike

<font color=blue> The mud's on it to hide that it's more than one color.[​IMG]

11. tRustyK5

I don't think the fork holds it in gear...in fact my uncle used to get mad at me for resting my hand on the shifter while driving. He said it put unnecessary pressure on the forks and wore things out prematurely. I know the synchro's help line the gears up but I don't think they hold things in place either. I was just looking at my exploded schematic for the 465 trying to see if anything was obvious...but I'm drawing a blank.

I removed my cover once for a general inspection while replacing my clutch. I never had a reason to delve much further into it because it's never given me a reason to. I have heard popping out of second is common for the SM 465 as they get older.

Sorry to be of absolutely no help...[​IMG]

12. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

what locks the gears in is part of the synchro assy.
    Once you have it in your hands you will see.
    The last time I did one it was $55 for a bearing kit and like another $50 for the worn out parts. The 465 is real easy to rebuild.
    Must be a Chevy thing.

13. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Rene- can you send me the 465 internals diagram(s)? If you need to FTP it to me I can get you an account on my server, so you can just login, and send away. Otherwise, you can email it to me if its small enough!

(This all assumes that you have that info in electronic format!)

Thanks man! [​IMG]

<font color=red>GOT MUD???</font color=red>
    My license plate reads:<font color=blue> 8 YR SUV</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://24.10.209.54/bigolk5.htm>http://24.10.209.54/bigolk5.htm</a>
    454/TH400/NP205 - 14BFF/D60/w/ 4.10s

14. tRustyK5

Well my diagram is in my Chilton's book. The 'exploded' view of the tranny is where the useful info stops.
    I can see if someone will scan the page for me and I could email it to you if you want. I don't have a scanner either...[​IMG]

Rene

15. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

I have a scanner and a manual in front of me.
    What do ya need?