Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SM465 install. . . HELP

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BowtieRed, Aug 24, 2003.

1. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

Firstly- I need some tips on dropping the old one, and lifting the new one (shown below) into place.

Secondly- my clutch is pretty burnt, i can still some part of all the slots, but there is a slight tear in the edge of it, like where the fiber started coming appart, but very small. how much more life could i expect from the disc, i don't really have $64. . .

The tailshaft or rear output or whatever you want to call it is slightly bent, and went i turn the tranny input the NP241 output shaft spins but it doesn't stay in the exact same spot, moves maybe 1/8", how bad will this afect driving?

i guess it'd be easier to fill tranny and -t-case before install, right?

[​IMG]

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

easier to fill before install, but plenty heavier. I'd hold off on filling. WHat clutch do you have that the disc costs $63? Mine cost like 20 something at Auto Zone. Haven't heard great things about them and I know I've felt it slip at some good RPMs but its working so far. Looks good by the way. I have to do the gunk scraping thing tomorrow. Lots of fun in that.

3. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

the bent tail shaft might give you some MEAN vibes man...

Wait till you install it to fill the deal..for the 465, just pour it down the shifter hole....

4. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

If the shaft is bent that would suck. For obvious reasons. If the tail shaft housing is bent, thats a different story. Can you tell which one it is? If it's the housing, As long as the thing isn't bent so much that the slip seal won't seal, then I wouldn't worry. About the only thing you can do is put it together and run it to see what happens. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

A tip for the lifting and dropping part- Remove the passenger door and stick an engine hoist through and use a chain down through the tunnel cover. Thats what I did when I did my swap. Did it all myself too. hehe....no help. Just the engine hoist, a floor jack and a small block of wood. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

Also.....I would seriously think about byin a new disc. Unless ya wanna be dropping this tranny again that much sooner down the road. These frickin things are funny bastards. No fun to do again sooner than ya have too.

5. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Keep posting during your progress. I have to do this soon myself. Pics are a plus for me... Thanks..

6. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

i might be able to locate and engine hoist. maybe rent one. sounds like a good idea, thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

it's the tailshaft that's bent.

7. Aquaman

Aquaman 1/2 ton status

Me, and my buddy, just put a C6 into his Early Bronco today. It is much easier to do all the work with it empty, because all the weight makes it even harder to move it around (even for a powerlifter...). We put a come-a-long on his roll cage, and lifted it up the whole in the floor. Then I pushed it forward (not easy to hold there), and he put a floor jack under it.

I hope you don't plan to do this on gravel (like I have to do 90% of the time). That won't help any.

Good luck bud. Hope it works out... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If your trans tunnel unbolts, definitely do it that way.

I have always bolted mine to the engine while it was on the floor except when I put my recent engine in, which was a total PITA to line up!