Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SM465 Install

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BowtieRed, Sep 13, 2003.

1. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

Ok, i have the tranny and t-case hanging from an engine hoist but cannot line up the input shaft into the pilot bushing. . . i never even can feel the bushing, actually, i don't think i am even getting it though the clutch disc. . . i never have it to the point were i have that little play in it. . . so i'm not to the splines having to line up yet. . . any tips?
    thanks
    red

2. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

When you installed the clutch and pressure plate did you use an alignment tool? If that's off you want get the trans shaft to go in. It really needs to be a 2 person operation. 1 to raise/lower the hoist and someone under the truck to wiggle the trans around so it will slide in

3. BowtieRed

yes, i used an alignment tool. i'll try to get someone else over here.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah well wehn I did my motor swaps this past year all i can say is, lining up the input shaft is a PAIN. I have found no good way of doing it. I just try to line the block up(as it would be if you were on the input shaft) and slide it around and push it the heck in till it went. It took hours just doing that. I had the motor out though and the trans sitting there. My biggest problem was I had to jack the tranny up so it would be as high as I could get it to clear the motor mounts. A second or third person is definetally a very good idea.

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

try turning the rear output with it in gear so it turns the front splines as your putting it in. if you have a slip yoke have one person put the rear driveline in and turn it while your pushing the tranny in

6. BowtieRed

ok, now i'm scared!

I finally got it all lined up and put two bolts in to the engine. and i can still turn the t-case input shaft!!! and it's in gear in the tranny and case. . . so?????? maybe since there's fluid in my clutch system it's like the pedal is in?

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I remember I used the bolts to suck it all together and it worked out. I have mechanical clutch and like I said I was trying to move the motor around to clear engine mounts. I know mine definetally didn't just slide together I had to suck it together with the bolts, not sure if thats a good or bad thing.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Mine's the same way. Just be careful when using the bolts. Make sure you've got 3 turns or so in it before using the bolts to pull it in. It's real easy to strip a block out (I did it with an old engine on the stand).

It took me nearly 4 hours to get my engine lined up to my tranny the last time I installed my engine. I was working by myself and I'll tell ya, running the hoist, climing up top, getting under it, and starting the process all over again got real old very quickly. Finally I got it to line up to where I could get a normal 1 1/2" length 3/8 bolt in each side and it was done. Make sure you tighten them evenly too.

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I had 4 guys total and took probably 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Me on my back under the K5 directing stuff and trying to bolt it up, one guy in the engine bay trying to life the front of the engine up and line it up(which when its chained in the middle is quite hard), and 2 guys pushing and adjusting the hoist. Fun I tell you! FUN!!

10. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

at least you have dedicated people to help you with that. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Try doing it yourself sometime. It's a total pain in the ass.

12. toy4fun

toy4fun 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Try doing it yourself sometime. It's a total pain in the ass.

[/ QUOTE ]Thats a under statement /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif
    I know that you said you had it all lined up but that is what I thought when I broke my first clutch /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Try putting a little grease on the end of the shaft where the pilot bearing goes in and the end of the splines it will help the splines line up a little easier the key word is little grease. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

NO THANK YOU, I'm very glad I have some mechanically inclined friends into trucks to help me out.

14. BowtieRed

uh-oh. . . maybe. . .

somehow it had been popped into neutral, so it's all connected. . .
    but

i loosened the block bolts to put the backplate of the bellhousing on, then i drilled my new holes in the frame and mounted the crossmember. but when i looked back, it was about an 1/8" gap on the left side of the engine. so i tightened the bolts back and the gap went away, but the peg on the left side does not stick all the way through the bellhousing like the one on the right. but like i said there is no gap. i also noticed that i had less room on the left side to drill the holes and one hole nearly comes outside the framerail. . . so i don't know if it's perfectly straight or not. . . what's going to happen is it's not 100% straight?

15. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Hmm, Take a look at your motor mounts. If one is thrashed and the other is not, that could cause things to sit crooked. Ya need to make sure everything is inline the way its supposed to be. Be hard on your u-joints in the rear shaft. Besides, if it's not straight, its just not right, plain and simple. Somethings wrong. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

16. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Are you guys using a trannie jack? We've got a sweet one at work, made to handle pretty good sized truck transmissions. The tilt and roll adjustments are slick.

I pulled my 700, with 241 still attached, this summer by myself. Normally it sees Duece and M818 5 ton trannies. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. BowtieRed

how long are the SM465 torque rod bolts, the ones from my TH350 fit, but are too long.

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Are you using a 208?

19. BowtieRed

no, 241, but i'm referring to the engine to bell torque rods.

i'll need a new, longer transfer case rod.

20. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

can't help, my K5 doesn't have any of those things. I've seen them on others, think I should install some?