Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SM465 into 93 GMC 4x4, Clutch slave interference?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Russell, Dec 18, 2006.

1. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hey guys!

I'm looking into buy a 93 GMC 1 ton 4x4. It currently has a 6.5TD / NV4500 / NP241 combo in it. I'm planning on taking the NV4500 out, and installing it into my 80, then putting a 32 spline SM465 into the 93 GMC with it's original driver's drop NP241 bolted onto the back with an NP208 adapter. I know it'll need new driveshafts, but that isn't a particularly huge concern.

The only problem I can think of is possible clearance issues between the SM465's slave cylinder, and the front driveshaft.

Does anyone have any experience with this, and know if I'll have clearance issues or not?

I'm not too terribly concerned about the NV4500 swap into my 80 -- I'll just get an internal slave bellhousing, and use the NP241 pass drop t-case I picked up a while back.

2. Jimbo*

Jimbo* 1/2 ton status

I wish you were closer, I've got most of the parts you need.
    The 93 bell has the slave at 5:00, so it's out of the way of the driveshaft.
    The 465 and 4500 use different bells, you know.
    The 465 you need is the one with the aluminum top, the shifter tower is at the rear of the tranny, not centered.
    I have the tranny, adapter, bell and front driveshaft if you need anything.
    Jimbo

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

You shouldn't have any problems with the slave being on the drivers side...the front shaft on IFS doesn't move up and down. Hell, i'm still not sure why they even bother with U-joints or slip yokes on those. If it clears (and it should) you won't have any problems.

I would avoid the internal slave bell too...nothing worse than having something as silly as a bad slave cylinder ruin your clutch and necessitate removing the entire tranny to replace it.

Rene

4. tRustyK5

Aluminum top with the shifter at the rear of the tranny sounds like the NV4500. I've never seen any 465 with an aluminum top and the shifter in a different location.

Rene

5. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Actually, such a thing does exist Rene -- In the 88 - 92 trucks that got an SM465, the top of the transmission was aluminum, and has the shifter coming out near the rear, much like an NV4500. However, while that would put the SM465's shifter right out in the stock location, its not entirely a big deal to patch and re-cut the hole for the shifter, then bend the shifter to fit.

So, you are telling me that I shouldn't have any clearance issues between the external slave cylinder and front driveshaft on my 80 GMC which has stock 1 ton springs, bolted up to stock 3/4 ton diffs?

As far as the 93 goes, I suppose the only thing I can do is try, and if doesn't fit, I guess it'll be a 2wd truck with a low range, lol

6. tRustyK5

I've never run across any of the newer 465's. Interesting...you'd think it would have been easier for GM to just dimple two shifter locations than redesigning the shifter housing to suit the sheetmetal. :crazy:

Anyways, I'd use an aftermarket bell, the passenger side slave is pretty low and vulnerable IMO. The AA bell is not that spendy, quality is decent. The only issue i had was starter nose fitment. I had to grind the inside of the AA bell so my starter would fit. :doah:

It does get the NV4500 hooked up in a 73-87 though, and puts the slave on the drivers side. It does need an adaptor to bolt up the GM slave but it's not spendy.

Rene