Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SM465 Issues?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Blazn83, Dec 13, 2006.

1. Blazn83

Blazn83 Registered Member

Weird problem. Everytime I take off in L (1st) or 2nd, the truck/transmission makes a weird grinding noise, and vibrates harshly. It feels like I'm either stuck or caught up on something, like a stump caught on the axle, or I'm trying to tow a HUGE trailer up a giant hill. But it's completely smooth when taking off in reverse? I know the rear tail shaft leaks transission fluid, maybe it leaked itself dry? (Its parked in grass, cant tell if it leaks, but for example when I was gassing it up, it leaked about a circle the size of a fist) [ps, I know..I know.. I'm not a member yet

2. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'd be worried about my bearings :S

Pop the top off and see if your gears have any excessive play in them.

3. Blazn83

Blazn83 Registered Member

Just to clarify things, the leak is coming from the output seal on the transfer case... so is it safe to say that the transmission IS NOT causing my described symptoms? And when you say pop the top off, you mean on the transfercase where the rear drive shaft connects to?

4. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Nope, literally pop the top of the transmission off. However, I just noticed that you have an 83, so you probally don't have an unboltable floor hump, which makes that pretty tough, lol

Unfortunately, I think you might be dropping your transmission to fix syncros, or even worse replacing the gear set :( Your transmission and transfercase don't share fluid, so a transfercase leak shouldn't affect the transmission at all.