Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SM465 Leak?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by eshorvath, Sep 9, 2005.

1. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

In the front of my SM465, there is a bit of wetness. Gets worse as time goes.

Without pulling the trans, is there a way to determine whether it is leaking from the front shaft seal or the round access hole on the front?
    Is there a gasket on that access plate?
    How hard is it to replace the front shaft seal?

Anyone got any ideas about how to track down the leak? I thought about changing the tranny to ATF, just to see if it really is the tranny, and not a leak from the engine... Any ideas?
    Eddie

2. K5Kell

K5Kell Guest

Pressure washing it then keep a close eye on it would be my guess.
    -Kell-

3. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

Wal-mart sells a dye kit for around 15-20 bucks. You put the dye in the trans, or whatever you think is leaking, then clean everything up real good and drive a couple of miles. Then use the light that comes in the kit and see where the leak is. It's nice because no matter how good you clean something there is always residue, but the fluid that has leaked and has dye in it will be a current leak.

4. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

I have looked everywhere for that dye kit. i used to have one years ago, came with a black light to ID the leak, but have had NO luck finding one these days.

I even looked at wal-mart, they usually have everything.

Maybe looking at parts houses on the other side of the mountain this weekend.
    Id like to find it prior to replacing the adapter that is on its way by Rootbreaker....Thanks dude.

With these cold days, I NEED this fixed before the snow flies.

Eddie