Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SM465 Leak

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Anteak, Feb 25, 2002.

1. Anteak

Anteak 1/2 ton status

The tranny is leaking real bad out the front seal. I have gear oil comming out the bottom of the bell housing and from the side hole for the clutch fork. The clutch is starting to shatter.
    Is this something fairly easy to repair?
    The seal itself only costs @ 3.00. Can someone give me the rundown on removing the tranny/transfer(sm465/205) and replacing the seal? Should I do anything else while it's out?

73 Blazer, So. Ca.

2. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

i have never done it personally, but i beleive the seal is on a peice of aluminum that is bolted to the case of your tranny. there are 6 (or so) bolts holding that plate on. it shouldnt be all that bad once you have the tranny down. i would recomend spending the 15-20 bucks and replace your throwout bearing when you have it disasembled. its worth the 15-20 bucks now, compared to the time it takes to drop the tranny down 2 days after you get it running again. (if you have the same luck as i do) im not sure what you want to do with your clutch, i cant imagine your friction disc and gear lube agree with one another. hopefully its not too saturated.
    good luck, sounds like you have your weekend planned out for ya.

later
    marc

3. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

You will have to replace the clutch, and get the flywheel resurfaced if you want the clutch to work right once it is back together.

Tim

70 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    87 Burb 4X4 350
    01 GMC 2500HD 4X4 Duramax/Allison

4. KENT

KENT 1/2 ton status

Throwout bearing, clutch, main seal should all be replaced. Resurface the flywheel and replace the clutch.

I did my 465 last year. It is not complicated. It is very heavy. My advice is to rent a transmission jack.

After all of my efforts the front seal in the 465 still leaks a little bit. Talked to the guy at the local transmission shop who said this is fairly common.

Kent

1989 K5

5. chevydude

chevydude Registered Member

definately a new cluch disk,probably should go the whole nine yards and resurface the flywheel and get a new pressureplate and throwout bearing ,don't forgeta new pilotbushing

marcus