Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SM465 Loose Shifter

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ECNiz, Apr 18, 2003.

1. ECNiz

ECNiz Registered Member

The shifter on my SM465 is a little looser than I would like it, I took the shifter out and noticed there is a lot of slack where the bottom shifter piece is held on by the pin. The outer hole is a lot larger than the pin and allows a lot of slop. what can I do to get rid of that slop? Would welding it be a good idea? Or how about drilling out the inner piece to match the size of the outer whole and using a bigger pin? Or does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks Guys!

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm looking at a chrome SM465 shifter handle right now.]

The pin you mentioned on all shifters I have examined, is also not a good fit in that hole. It's either intentional on GM's part, or simply a wear area.

The main part that I've noticed that causes problems is just "up" the handle from the pin you mention. The half round "ball" that the spring for the lock mechanism seats on, has a weld at the base of it. 3 out of 4 of the handles I have inspected have had broken welds here.

The truck I've driven with that weld NOT broken, feels much "tighter" than my trucks shifter.

But in reality, first off, these are not "precision" transmissions. They are heavy duty, and were NOT designed for fast, precise shifts. They are capable of DECENT shifting, some better than others though. Second, most newer trannies, at least for cars, are better designed for faster, smoother shifting, and use bushings and what not to achieve that "tightness". That "tightness" comes at the cost of weaker parts that wouldn't hold up as a truck transmission should.

GM did put a "car" 4 speed floor shift manual transmission in these trucks, but it wasn't very common at all, and I doubt it was a very popular "option". I've seen exactly *1* truck so equipped.

3. 79Jimmy

79Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I'm with dyeager on this one. 90% of the shifters I've seen on SM465s, the "weld" is cracked. I welded mine up which helped but it's still no Honda /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

James

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

there was a thread on this last year