Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SM465 loosing oil

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kennyw, Dec 2, 2002.

1. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Over the summer I started noticing a noise from my 1979 K10 w/SM465 & NP205 on hot days. It would start around 35mph and would not quite till I slowed to 5 mph. Hotter days the worse it got. Sounded like a high pitch whine.

Today I found the transfer case was over full and the transmission was low. Thinking back I think I first noticed the problem shortly after changing the fluid in both the tranny and Tcase to new 80W90 GL5 oil.

At a minimum I believe the seals will need to be replaced in the tranny output and tcase input. Anyone know of other possible causes I should check for when I get them pulled out?

2. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

thee is only one seal between the tranny and TC.
    sounds like yours is bad.
    be very careful not to nick the new seal when mating the TC to the adapter.
    I have done this a couple of times and now I mount the adapter to the TC on the ground and lift them up to the tranny as a unit.
    more of a PITA then the other way but I have XXXXed it up twice now doing it the easier way

3. kennyw

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    more of a PITA then the other way but I have XXXXed it up twice now doing it the easier way

[/ QUOTE ]
    The easier way always seems to be more work in the end /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Thanks for the tip /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Let us know if it gets rid of the whine....I have the same one but my fluid levels seem to be fine.

5. kennyw

The first thing I thought was causing the whine was when I found the rear axle pinion was loose. Swapped the axle for a spare one I had and it did nothing to stop the whine... Then I suspected the lockouts were partially engaging and swapped on a set of new lockouts with no change.

Now that the weather has gotten colder the whine is no longer there...