Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sm465 Np205 blazer owners

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BowtieBlazer, Oct 6, 2002.

1. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

I need an approx length and pics maybe as I am about to try and pull of a swap....problem is I have never seen a np205 shaft as to know what to look for in the junkyard... /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Also lookign for pics of exhaust routeing for those of you with 205's already...Not lookign for true dual setup

2. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Re: Help with shaft length sm465 Np205 blazer owners

Assuming your '84 has a SM465, then this is the adapter you need:
    NP205 adapter

And the NP205 you need:

NP205

It may be cheaper to use a SM465/NP205 combo from an earlier (71-80 truck)

3. BowtieBlazer

thanks for the info I should ahve been more specific...I am looking for rear driveshaft lengths...preferably...cap to cap.....this setup is coming as a whole out of a 72 blazer or truck not sure which...going into a second gen 84 blazer...so cap to cap length on a rear driveshaft in a second gen blazer...the NP205 is fixed yoke......stock if it matters

4. BowtieBlazer

Okay here is the whole situation...maybe others can help trouble shoot. I am looking for a Np205 fixed yoke to swap in place of my np 208 slip yoke...a member here has a 465 / np205 setup that is all original out of a 72 truck / bazer.....i have my all original 465 / np208 all in tact..thinking about driving 6 hrs there and swapping stuff in the driveway....i mean tranny and all so he has my 465/adaptor and np208 as it came from teh factory and i have his 465 adaptor and 205 in mine as they came from teh factory and then I will be driving away, back home 6 hrs...problem is he doesnt have a rear driveshaft for the setup...so I need to find one.....i have a flat straight cross member so i should be able to adjust to make the new t-case work.... any other forseeable probs?

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I did this swap 5 years ago. I have an 81 Jimmy that came with the 465/208 factory. I re-used the crossmember, all I had to do was move it up about 3 or 4 inches and drill some holes.

My rear shaft is 41.5" from the center of the rear u-joint to the center of the front u-joint. That's with a 4" lift and a 14 bolt FF. The slip part of the shaft shows about 1" before bottoming out as far as I can tell.

My 205 shifter fit through the tranny tunnel hole the 208 shifter box used to be...

The only real wildcard is exhaust routing...although I had no trouble with mine.

Hope that helps.

Rene

6. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Well, my rear driveline has a working length of 42.5"...That is with a 350/465/205 and a 14bff, 4" shackle flip, 2" TC springs... Hope this helps

Chris

7. BowtieBlazer

any pics of the under side of your truck?

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Nope...no digi-cam either./forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

rene

9. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I maybe able to snag my rommies cam in the next few days and take a pick or two...Send me a PM to remind me tomorrow..

Chris

10. BigBen

BigBen 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Hope this can help.
    I'm putting an SM465 with an NP205 in my '74 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifas we speak.
    I got the tranny/T-case/bellhosing from a junkyard '77 K5.

My '74 came bone stock (350/TH350/NP203) a few months ago and I finally have the new engine(383)/tranny/T-case in there /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. The only problem is that I don't have a driveshaft. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

The measured distance from the NP205 yoke to the Rear Pumpkin Yoke (centers of U-joint caps) is 41.75" sitting at stock ride height. I have the stock axle, but I haven't counted the bolts yet and can't be specific on the model. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Hope that helps.

Good Luck!

-Ben