Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sm465 or is this guy just retarded?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by savagek5diesel, Jan 31, 2007.

1. savagek5diesel

savagek5diesel 1/2 ton status

I'm wondering if this guy is selling a 465 for 150 bucks and doesn't realize it. I've never heard of an m-20 trans in a chevy. He's here locally and i might go pick it up if it is a 465...... any input??

2. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

I think its real, they had several 4 and three speeds int he older trucks. 465 was mostly 3/4 and 1 tons IIRC.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Can't recall the RPO for the 465 in trucks, but M20 *in cars* was a Muncie wide ratio 4 speed. (along with the M21/M22 close ratios)

RPO's get recycled/reused, an RPO in a car is not always exactly the same in a truck. Or even always the same in the same vehicle. With a 14FF, I suspect he's just wrong. (if factory)

If it's a toploader and stock, its a 465. If it's got external shift rods, it's a light duty of some type.

4. savagek5diesel

for one..... if it were a muncie, wouldn't be a good tranny to buy for that price? i have a 65 buick skylark that would love a muncie.

If i were to go out and look at it, whats the best way to ID the tranny? and he didn't say anything about the front axle....... wonder what that might be.........

5. longbedder

longbedder 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What he said ^^^

Even if it's not a truck gearbox, if it is in fact a Muncie and not thrashed I'd buy it if I were in your position. I sold a plain-jane Muncie M20 for $400 + shipping to a guy across the country last year.

6. savagek5diesel

oh, and as an addition to my last post, excuse my lack of knowledge to "toploader" and "external shift rods". Little more detail would be appreciated if that is the way to ID the tranny. thanks in advance.

7. longbedder

longbedder 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If it's a big cast-iron case, and has the shift lever coming straight out the top, it's a 465. See the first pic.

If it's aluminum and has a set of linkages on the side attached to the shift lever, it's a car tranny. In the second picture, a Muncie is on the left, a Saginaw is in the middle, and a Borg-Warner is on the right. I can't believe someone would've run a work truck with one of these, however.

sm465_transmission.jpg

manualt.gif

8. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

It could be a 420. Talk about low gearing!

9. savagek5diesel

thanks for the information longbedder. What's the deal with the 420 trans? what is it's gearing? i'm emailing this guy as we speak, gonna go check it out later.

10. jdemaris

jdemaris Registered Member

I had a couple of 70s Chevy trucks with aluminum Muncie M20s. I've been told that some came with cast-iron M20s also - but I've never seen one.

I've also got two later trucks, an 1982 diesel K10 and an 1983 diesel K10 that both have New Process 833 four-speed manual trans. with overdrive. that has the shifters coming out the side like a Muncie or Saginaw.

11. savagek5diesel

i'm really interested in the 465 for it's gearing, and from what i heard, it really helps the 6.2 bring out it's power. So with that being said, if it really is an m20 truck tranny, how's it's gearing? this truck is going to be for rocks, slow travel wheeling. What is the dependability of the m20? does it hold up to abuse of large tires etc...?

12. dyeager535

So according to one of the Chevy RPO pages, it looks like M20 IS the RPO for the 465 for our time frame.

The 465 is the ultimate when it comes to strength in readily available/found transmissions. There will be no worries with strength installing it in your truck.

Bearing noise, worn shifter, synchros, or shift forks are the only real "problems" and those are typical wear points for any manual transmission. As manual transmissions go, this one beats most others out there in longevity I'd have to say. I don't think there is a single "built in" failure point for these. Earlier 10 spline to 205 setup was kind of weak, but again relative. Plenty of them behind big blocks after 30 years still going strong.

13. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Very good prices on the 14 bolt and the 205 as well. I'd check those out. Might be worth picking 'em up.

14. 84 K5 4x4

84 K5 4x4 1/2 ton status

15. savagek5diesel

well i've got all the 14b's i need, all my trucks have got them now, and i can get em' for practically free if i need another. I did tell the guy i might be interested in the xcase, if this turns out the way i'de like it too, i'll bargain for the setup. I'm just suckling all your guy's knowledge to know what to expect when i get there.

16. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

suckling on the teets of our knowledge? hahaha

i personally have never seen anything other than a sm465 in any of our trucks.. once in a while you hear of something else but Ive seen a lot of trucks and have yet to see something different.. I would definately like to see on in stock form. The guy that has 2 of them should post some pics!! Id love to see the shifter inside the cab, and also some good underneath shots of the trans, crossmember, XFER CASE ADAPTER!, etc etc...

mike

17. dyeager535

Wished I would have done the same. Saw an early 80's truck in the 'yard with a 208, and one of the "car" floor shifted transmissions. The transfercase shifter assembly was entirely different, as the section for the shifter boot was next to it, but they were combined as the same piece of plastic.

Bench seat, I6 as I recall. Truck was scrapped shortly after I saw it.

18. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

maybe sm420 i duno

19. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I can post some pics of my 70 K5 with a Saginaw 3 speed.:D

20. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

Have him measure how long it is. If its 12" its your 465, if its 10" let me know I will trade you a 465 for it ( I need an SM420 for my dads Heep).

The SM 420 has a 7.05:1 ratio where as the 465 is 6.55:1. 465 is stronger than an SM420.