Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SM465 or keep the TH350?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Roshambo, Apr 2, 2004.

1. Roshambo

Roshambo Registered Member

OK, so I have a pretty stout rebuilt TH350, but my TC is going out. I could either buy a new one or... toss the fresh rebuilt SM465 into my truck. I have the tranny, new heavy duty clutch, bellhousing, etc.

I would need the pedal assembly and the big question mark in my head is will the driveshaft be the right length? And what other misc. stuff would I need?

Ive read the how to on this site on doing the conversion, can anyone who has done this before give me a heads up on any problems they had or some pics? Even a interior shot of the stick/transfer case would be great.

Anyways, its getting late, thanks in advance guys!

-Joe

2. thefarside

thefarside 1/2 ton status

It depends on which you would rather drive a stick or an auto. If it was a daily driver I would say get a new TC.
    Just my .02

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

What kind of transfer case do you have? I'd say go with the 465 and don't look back... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    What kind of transfer case do you have? I'd say go with the 465 and don't look back... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I would agree.

TH 350/NP 203 is the worst crawling stock combo and the SM 465 with any case is going to be a drastic difference.

If you don't mind shifting, GO FOR IT!! It's worth it.

The conversion isn't that bad, we can walk you through it. Doing a mechanical linkage?

5. Bruiser

Bruiser 1/2 ton status

Where on the South Coast of Oregon are you? I graduated High school at Gold Beach Union High School and used to work at Coast Auto Sales in Brookings? I have lots of pictures of swaping the pedals in (which I just finished up). THis was the most difficult of the swap for me. The Tech article on the main page he used a different type of pedal setup. I used a original one if you want some pictures just let me know and will also let you know some of the interesting things I learned. Your best bet is to find a parts truck or someone who has everything. I mean everything Flywheel,bellhousing,clutch fork,clutch linkage,all springs,clutch pedal assembly, tranny and tcase. And don't forgot all the bolts (makes it a lot easier if you don't have to hunt for bolts) Your rear driveline will have to be lengthened and front shortened so take this in consideration when you do the swap. If it is your DD then you may want to get the measurements from someone and find drivelines before hand or have some made. Most of the time you won't get drivelines with your tranny since it will have come out of something other than a blazer. Like mine was out of 3/4 ton. Any questions feel free to e-mail me at vincent@michels.nu

6. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I say go for it final drive is the same and first is almost 3 times as deep /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I say go for it. The SM465's 1st is almost a 7:1! I am also currently in the middle of the same thing. You'd be surprised at how little modification you have to do. It's pretty much a bolt-in if you change enough parts. Let me know if you have any questions.

8. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Get the SM465!!

9. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

yet another vote for the 465. if your TC is going out, then most likely your trans wont be far behind...

10. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

If you're good with the stick and can handle it off road, go for it!

11. Roshambo

[ QUOTE ]
    Where on the South Coast of Oregon are you?

[/ QUOTE ]

I went to school at Pacific, and I live in Langlois. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Small world eh?!?

Id like to see any pics you have, email em to me at Roshambo@earthlink.net, I'd really appreciate it.

I already have the transmission, clutch, bellhousing, flexplate, etc. Will linkage from a 72 Chevy work?

Also, I have a NP203 with a Warn Part time kit, and I just went thru it, so I'll be keeping it for now. It's my daily driver, but my last vehicle was a 6 Speed Z28, so I can deal with driving a stick.. most of my driving is highway anyways.

Thanks for the replies guys, keep em coming! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

-Joe

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Unfortunately your TH 350 uses a 27 spline input, where as the 4 speeds are 10 spline or 32 spline input, so your case has got to go to complete this swap.

13. Roshambo

[ QUOTE ]
    Unfortunately your TH 350 uses a 27 spline input, where as the 4 speeds are 10 spline or 32 spline input, so your case has got to go to complete this swap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doh.

Well, I do know where the NP205 that was mated to the trans is, guess I'll go pull that too.

Thanks for the heads up!

-Joe

14. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

I vote 465 /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

15. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

465 without a doubt /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'm in the middle of swapping my 700R4 for one right now /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

16. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Where on the South Coast of Oregon are you?

[/ QUOTE ]

I went to school at Pacific, and I live in Langlois. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Small world eh?!?

[/ QUOTE ]

I graduated from North Bend. My parents own an autoparts store in Coos Bay...

17. Roshambo

[ QUOTE ]
    I graduated from North Bend. My parents own an autoparts store in Coos Bay...

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. Yeah, Small world. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Well, 465 with a NP205 I think it is then. Anyone have any pics to contribute?

Hmm.. then I'll have that perfectly good 203 just laying around.

Doubler? /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

-Joe

18. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i vote ditch the sludge box, slap in the almost indestructable 465 and a double behind it. then you would be good.
    grant

19. jerry303

jerry303 Registered Member

Hell yeah, if you got a doubler and the Sm465 you would have quite the crawl ratio, i plan on doing this when i get the $$

20. Roshambo

Heh heh.. Doubler it is. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

-Joe