Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SM465 or NP205...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ericpost, May 16, 2004.

1. ericpost

ericpost Registered Member

Hi,
    I have a clunk while changing gears. Sometimes if I get it prefect I don't get it. The ujoints seem fine. It appears to me to be the transfer case but I'm not sure. Anyone got a few tests to help me find the problem before I start tearing into stuff? Also I do have another 205 in the garage, if it is the trans case I'd like to test it a bit to make sure it is okay. I'd really hate to assume the trans case and replace it only to find the one I have is toast OR the tranny was the issue!

2. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

If you're running the older style SM465 and NP205 you might want to check the coupler sleeve that connects them together. You can do this by putting the transmission in gear and either remove the rear driveshaft or jack the rear tires off the ground, you want to check for any play in the yoke on the t-case. If your connection doesn't feel solid you should seperate the t-case from the tranny and check the sleeve, most likely the splines will look like this /\ instead of this []. Good luck /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif -Rob-

3. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

if there is silicone instead of gaskets between the transmission and transfer case adapter surfaces there is a very good chance the coupler and transmission mainshaft are worn badly
    remember to give the coupler a good coating of grease on its splines on reassembly

4. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

When I dropped my old Rockwell T221 that was mated to my SM465, I discovered that the coupler sleeve was shot, and it took out the rear output of the transmission with it /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

[image]http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/users/401dd1a4_fe4b/bc/3861/__sr_/e096.jpg?ph3d.pABmWa0No9s[/image]

EDIT: ok for some reason the direct link wont work? But copy and paste the URL to see the rear output of my SM465.

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

link wont work as it doesnt end in an image tag, forum safety device

do you still own the Timken?
    I am interested in aquiring one to study

6. ericpost

I got the same error for the url..
    What I think I heard is the coupler could be toast OR both the coupler and the 465 output could be toast.... Perfect, I'll run out and check the coupler now and keep my fingers crossed.

7. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

8. ericpost

Okay, it's sloppy. Once I drop the t-case what am I looking to replace? Also is this gonna be a home repair (ie. no 40 ton press, etc...) /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif

9. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

definitely change the coupler sleeve
    all you need is 2 gaskets (REQUIRED silicon doesnt work)
    and a couple of wrenches
    and a good floor jack
    and a friend or 2 to help reinstall

to do the worn 205 input gear isn't much more involved
    the 465 mainshaft is nearly a full rebuild affair
    hard part is finding a used one that hasn't been destroyed by trying to use silicon in place of gaskets

If you are truly wanting to fix it hit up ORD to see if their 32 spline mainshaft will be long enough to reach a 32 spline 205 input gear through the factory adapter

spelling edited

10. ericpost

Excellent, Thanks for the help. I'll let you know what I find once I get her apart. I hope the 465 mainshaft isn't toast, that would bite.

11. ericpost

Okay this isn't funny anymore! I just checked to see how much play I had by turning the drive shaft again, appears to be about a 1/2" to 3/4" of revolution which was the same last I checked about a week ago. The only difference is this time the rig had all fours planted firmly on the concrete. Checked my other vehicles real quick to make sure I was sure and got zero play. I'm thinking my rear end is getting sloppy.. would that seem corrrect to you folks? The real bummer is it's a 14 bolt that I (pain stakingly) welded disc brakes on to about 3 years ago. Thought for sure I wouldn't tear it apart.

I guess the glass half full thought is I think there is gaskets between the tranny/coupler/tcase. Oh and I have the long coupler (like 7 inches) not the short, does that make it early or late?

12. motofool

motofool 1/2 ton status

so was the coupler not the problem?

13. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

does it have a detroit?
    believe it or not that would be about normal for a detroit with deep gears

14. ericpost

It's a corporate 10.5" 14 bolt. I think that what you mean by detriot, right?. Sorry for the lack of vocabulary I'm a car convert never had anything but 12 bolts and 9 inch rears. I had to count the bolt pattern about 3 times before I believed it!