Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SM465 or TH350, need opinions please

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 4x4Freak, Oct 15, 2002.

1. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

Right now I have a blown np203 and a Th350 that's on its last leg in my 79 K10. I'm going to go with a NP205. I would like to have a 465 cause I like shifting my trucks(I think thats what mainly killed the auto), but I also like the 350 because I mostly wheel in sand and it's a lot easier to drive.

So I'm trying to decide whether I want to go full manual or 350 with manual valve body. How much does it genarally cost to build a 350 with man. valve body and other upgrades? Any recommendations on parts or brands? Torque converter?

I plan to be running 400hp/400lb tq. and 4.10s with 33s or 35s. And I will also still be driving it on the street a lot. Thanks for any help.

/forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

id try to get a th400, id personally stay with automatic, its easier in mud and i could imagine its better in sand, it is realllly easy to red line a truck with a manual in the mud and if you start screwing up you can toast the clutch. auto is better in my view, but my truck has the sm-465, so, i kinda like it, in mud i can get around and i can start flinging mud if i kick it in 2nd in 4 hi on flat ground, in hilly mud i stay in 1st, but then you spin the tires and engine rpm gets up there. never been in sand, only i was in sand on a stupid excursion by a pool, but i know everyone dosnt like me talkin about that. good luck. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I've run them both and they both have thier pros and cons. I'll stick with the auto. Much better in the mud race deal. I run a stall but its only great in the mud and the street. Big problems in the rocks.

4. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

just curius. ..how well would a 700 hold up in mud and mild offroad..im not talking anything to major...but some pretty good holes and mud and stuff..

5. efilnikufecin

efilnikufecin 1/2 ton status

just get a fat tranny cooler and the 700 should be just fine.not to mention it has a lower first gear to get those tires spinning in the mud.

6. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

What's your stall speed, gears and tire size, Sandman?

7. Sandman

I blew a few 700's up. I had extra cooling. The TH350 has been a workhorse so far.....It should be fine for mild use. Put extra cooling in it. Its cheap insurance. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. Sandman

I have 4:11's with 39.5 Boggers and a 2400 stall. Works great for the mud but horrible in the rocks. I am thinking 5:13's in the future. I should still be OK mud racing since I have the automatic and can shift. It should really help out in the rocks....

9. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

in sand i would think auto would be better.less shifting and you can floor it with out taking the time to downshift if you get into deep sand.but i like my 465 and shifting is fun.never been in deep sand though.

10. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ok thanx! does that oil cooler thing have anything to do with it that came on my 85? sits right in front of the radiater..

11. aksidentproan

aksidentproan 1/2 ton status

This is just my opinion but I would go manual. I just prefer having total control of my truck but I have never even seen a sand dune much less driven on one. Again, its just my opinion.

Evan

12. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

You're not doing anything else with your left leg, might as well have a clutch.
    I prefer manual because:
    1. Cheap to buy a 465
    2. Cheap to buy a clutch w/ lifetime warrantee from Autozone
    3. Bulletproof
    4. More control of truck
    5. That granny low can't be beat

You can get an auto to be about as bulletproof as the 465, but at many times the cost.
    The big pro for an auto is that it easier to keep momentum while shifting in the auto.
    -- Mike

13. efilnikufecin

efilnikufecin 1/2 ton status

no that is in fact a oil cooler.they have the same set up on my 91.a tranny cooler will hook up on the tranny lines.i put a tranny cooler on my 91,i just bought the biggest one i could find at the auto parts store.i would suggest getting one for your next modification,being that your trans works alot off road and 700's are notorious for getting hot.there only about $40-60 depending on what you get.pretty straight forward install,simple but very effective.

14. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

i heard some bad stuff about clutches from autozone, some guy wore one out at 2k with normal use, i dont know, any body else know, i sure would.

15. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

I work at autozone and we do see a few come back. I think it mostly depends on how they drive. I put a disc in my K30 this summer and I havent blown it up yet.

I think I've decided (for the moment) to stay with the auto tranny. I already have the transmission and know where a t-case is and my brother has a good tranny if I can get it from him. Also his transmission has a 4(?) wire plug near the pan. Is this one of the lock-up versions? It came out of his 82 K10 w/305 and it is a th350.

Now I need to figure out what parts I need and what brands are good. I plan on using a manual valve body with a floor shifter and possibly a stall converter (about 1200). What has everyone else done and used and how well has it held up? Thanks again.

16. GMslave

GMslave 1/2 ton status

IF you go with a manual valvebody, make sure you read the directions very carefully. A guy I know ran one, and smoked the whole tranny the first time out b/c he took off in third gear! I believe manual MEANS manual in that you have to shift it, up or down.

17. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

There are some out there that are manual/auto. They can be used either way. Thats probably what I'm gonna go with.