Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sm465 or th400 And a poll!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Kyle Strong, Jun 6, 2006.

?

sm465 or th400?

1. 465

56.4%
  2. th400

36.2%
  3. Just get a new t-case

1.1%
  4. I'm nekkid (mandatory option)

6.4%
  1. Kyle Strong

Kyle Strong 1/2 ton status

so, I think my 203 is getting ready to take a crap on me. I've always wanted a 465, but with the body lift I hear mounting the linkage could be a problem. I could go hydro, but don't know if I have the money for it.:( I can get a 465/205 combo for around $200-$250 I think. Or my friend has a th400/205 combo his friend pulled out of a mid 80's 1 ton for FREE:saweet: He said it all works fine. It's pretty much decided I'm going with a 205. So now it comes down to the trans. It will be a dd, but I don't mind a manual, and I don't think it'll see too many highway miles, so an overdrive isn't that big of a deal (even though neither of the options come with an overdrive:doah: oh well) I could just get a new t-case, but the th400's FREE:saweet:

2. 1-tonmudder

1-tonmudder 1/2 ton status

So whats to question??I never have that kind of freinds.Im always the friend that has the stuff.

I personally like an auto,yeah I know they dont have much compression braking and you cant roll them off,but it's nice to have only two pedals to deal with when you are hanging off a mountainside.

3. Kyle Strong

Yeah, I know that one. And I've always liked auto's, but everyone I know swears by manuals. If it makes a difference, my truck will be for trails and mud, no rocks. Unless they get in my way:haha:

4. 1-tonmudder

1-tonmudder 1/2 ton status

Have you ever tried to speed shift a 465.I do some mud racing from time to time and there is always some guy that is running a grannygear 4 speed,First is to low and second is to high and there is so much difference in the two by the time the RPM's drop enough to shift you have lost your momentum.A 465 will probaly be more durable than a 400 though.

5. Kyle Strong

No I haven't, but my dad's old 67 ford had the same granny gear first. We never put it in 1st unless we were crawling up a hill! And the 465 is stronger I think, but for now I have a stock 350, so the 400 should hold up fine. Until I drop in my 427 or 454. Evne then it might.

6. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

465 is beefy and massive reduction already. But like someone said, its nice only having 2 pedals to mess with in a predicament. Also there is alot more to do, clutching, shifting, rpms... Those 2 things is what keeps me from going 465 every time ive blown up a tranny since Febuary.

7. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

Oh, and free is always better when on a budget!!

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

personal preference. Personally I'd prefer a full manual reverse pattern th400 over the sm465 in a wheelin rig. If its a street rig or a tow rig, I'd prolly want the 465.

j

9. Kyle Strong

I know the full manual part, but what's reverse pattern? Shift pattern?

10. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Makes the shift patter P R N 1 2 3 instead of P R N D 2 1

Allows you to use the column for shifting, and just makes it "right" by lowering it a step instead of bringing it "up" a gear.

I personally switched to an SM465, and have no regrets as of yet. Mine is a DD / Tow Rig though, not an offroad vehicle. If I was to go offroad and do any sort of crawling / mudding, I'd personally want an automatic.

11. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

well obviously Free cannot be beaten....

however I had a turbo 400 with a b&m shiftkit..... it was nice.... but once I went to SMC465 I WILL NOT TURN BACK!! NOT EVEN FOR A FREEBIE!!!!!

now for your delema on the linkage...

yeah sucks that you gotta look at this.. how much body lift?
    I have the clutch rod that goes from the pedal through the floor.... you can have it.. already has a 3" extended piece (if you have a 3" bl)... just pay shipping and it is yours...

now hydraulic is the way to go... it isnt as expensive as you think.... all said and done.... you find the donor truck in the junkyard..... usually u pull its are cheaper....

the only thing is the bellhousing maybe hard to get from a u pull it....

this is the problem with the mechanical..
    unfortunately no matter which manual setup you go you need a few expensive parts....

mechanical list:
    1. pedal assembly
    2. rod through floor
    3. z-bar
    4. adjusting rod
    5. clutch fork ($25 autozone)
    6. bellhousing
    7. clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing ($130 lifetime warr. autozone)
    8. Flywheel ($75 from most yards)

hydro list:
    1. fill resivour with hose
    2. pedal assembly
    3. hydro master cylinder
    4. bellhousing
    5. hydro piston (mounts on bell)
    6. clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing
    7. Flywheel

I think that is it....
    shame... ya didnt see my for sale stuff a while ago...
    http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146753
    I had everything for a manual swap... had it here for $350 but let it go for $150!!!!!
    even 2 flywheels, 2 clutches, 1 pressure plate

you should be able to go hydro cheaper.... shouldnt be much... the yard shouldnt want more than $100 for everything... and to me that is cheap... although I bought a 1985 fullsize jimmy with hydro for $100 and stripped it :wink1:

12. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

The TH400 will stand up just fine behind a 454 also. The TH400 was bolted behind quite a few GM muscle car rat motors.

That 205 behind it would be real nice to have if you want to do a doubler.

13. jekbrown

yeah, puts 1st and reverse nice and close together. Being able to shift between the two quickly could be the difference between rolling and not rolling. Nice thing to have... and you don't have to grow a third leg to operate the transmission either. ;)

j

14. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

dont think the ujoints will like that..... :haha:

15. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I think you would just about have to have reverse pattern with full manual. Otherwise you'd be going straight into 3rd out reverse, and with full manual you'd be IN 3rd.

16. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

400 all the way!!! For off road use......I know I know..a lot of you 465 guys dont agree, but having that third pedal and more to think about instead of just wheelin doesnt seem fun to me.... Ive always said that carbs and clutches are for racing --- auto's and fuel injection are for off road ...just my 2 cents

17. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I Looooooove :p: my SM465 :bow:! Most of you guys are intimedated by running a clutch but it is just second nature for me now and I have only been driving a stick for about 2 years now. Plus you don't need to use your brakes decending hills which can be dangerous. I love engine braking. You won't regret going to the SM465. :bow:

If you end up going with the auto, then go with a floor shifter.

18. jekbrown

you can get engine braking from an auto... just need lower gears.

driving a stick is second nature to me... I learned to drive on a stick and an auto always feels a little strange. That doesn't change the fact that in a really nasty near rollover I might not be able to work all 3 pedals in rapid enough fashion. Really steep off-camber situations would be my biggest concern. All of that said, I do plan on running a manual in my toy buggy... but in that I'll have a hand throttle... and just 2 pedals. One for each foot, just like God intended!

j

19. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

Manuals are awesome....Nuff said.

20. Kyle Strong

Ya, I just really don't know right now. I think I'm going to wait a while and think it over real hard. I'm leaning more towards the 400 right now, mainly becasue it'll be less work. Right now the weather's been pretty sh*tty recently, and when the weather's crappy, I have no motivation to do anything. I might feel up to a 465 swap soon. That, and I want to be lazy for a few days/weeks since my last day of high school was today! :saweet: