Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sm465 popping out of third

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 48willy, Jan 24, 2006.

1. 48willy

48willy Newbie

has anyone had their sm 465 jump out of third when you let off of the gas. also, it sometimes it sticks in gear when you come to a stop and you have to start letting the clutch out to get it out. thinking its worn out shift forks. any other thoughts would be greatly appriciated.

2. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

if you mean 3rd by up for 1, down for 2 over and up for 3rd.. mine does it...
    syncros are bad.... i deal with it.... usually I just wind out that gear and shifting back to forth... or 3rd as my shifter reads... L, 1, 2, 3:haha:

3. clstolten

clstolten 1/2 ton status

"Here’s the main reason SM465s jump out of gear. The Fourth gear and Third gear are held in place on the countershaft with snap rings. Under load, Third gear wants to walk forward and Fourth gear wants to walk back. After time the snap rings flex enough to allow the tranny to jump out of gear." read more here: http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/brandpages/chevy/131_0208_tran/index1.html

4. 48willy

48willy Newbie

doesnt pop out under load, only when letting off the gas. would that be the same issue?

5. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Well there's two loads you can put on your tranny. When you're on the gas and accelerating, and when you're off the gas and using enging compression to deccelerate. If it happens when you let off the gas hard and are slowing down, I think it could be the same problem. If it happens when you're just lightly letting off the gas and coasting, then who knows if it's the same thing. Anaheim gear has the fix for it, give them a call and talk to one of their techs about it.

Scroll to the bottom.
    http://www.anaheimgear.com/update.htm

6. NoReGrEtS

NoReGrEtS 1/2 ton status

does any one have problems down shifting from 2 to 1 (not L)cuz I cant down shift till Im almost stoped and do they have syncros?

7. RootBreaker

well I cant down shift from 2nd to 1st (Im talking the L, 1, 2, 3)

You can get it to go in as your slowing down... rev the hell out of the motor and you will see what rpms you need to be at and it will go in.. trust me you dont want to do that..... it does suck that every now and then I have to almost stop before I can downshift and go.... people behind me dont get mad as if they do.... well we all know about bigger trucks :haha:

8. RootBreaker

well I cant down shift from 2nd to 1st (Im talking the L, 1, 2, 3)

You can get it to go in as your slowing down... rev the hell out of the motor and you will see what rpms you need to be at and it will go in.. trust me you dont want to do that..... it does suck that every now and then I have to almost stop before I can downshift and go.... people behind me dont get mad as if they do.... well we all know about bigger trucks :haha:

9. 48willy

48willy Newbie

replaced the shift forks and that fixed my problem. thanks for the input

10. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yeah, I was just gonna say, probally be shift forks...

I can see the snap ring thing being a problem if it broke, but otherwise, the shift forks at the most likely thing to cause a tranny to be thrown out of gear.