Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SM465 problems

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Chris Demartini, May 6, 2001.

1. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I went out to get some food last night and when I went to drive out of the lot, I had no 3rd 4th or reverse (and I was nosed into the spot [​IMG] ). We tried taking the top plate off, but it wouldnt come off. We used prybars and screwdrivers to get it to shift into the gears. We got 3rd 4th and reverse back but its tough to shift into them. Whats wrong here?
    I also have a spare SM465/NP205 combo I couild use. Would that trans bolt up to my t-case adapter, or would I have to swap in that case too. It's slip yoke, but my solid yoke stuff would bolt up, right? Thanks in advance</font color=blue>

[​IMG]

2. CV202

CV202 1/2 ton status

Well if your swapping out a 465 for a 465 then it should all be the same, do you have a different tranny/tcase setup in there now??

Why do people keep calling it a Bronco!!!!! [​IMG]

3. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Posibly shifter problem???? Not sure, I'd pull the boot off (sound like you did) and see. Check the bolts on the shifter, i've had problems with thm backing out. Wish I could be of more help.

I think a 465 to a 465 is a bolt in deal, What kind of t-case ya'got now? -205? It should be all inter-change I would think.

Twiztid

4. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I had the boot off and the shifter out.... in the parking lot [​IMG]. Me and my dad tried to get the top cover off but it wouldnt come off. The shift rails werent lining up with eachother properly. We got it to go back into reverse and 3rd (usually) but it makes a clunking noise (worn shift forks?) so the '83 SM465 is going in. The adapter housing and shaft should be the same, right?</font color=blue>

[​IMG]

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

If you can get the tranny part way into reverse the top cover will come off. Then you can inspect for carnage. I think the adaptor and shaft are the same.

Rene

[​IMG]<A target="_blank" HREF=http://jules.coloradok5.com>http://jules.coloradok5.com</A>

6. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Yes, if you can get it partway into reverse, that aligns the reverse shift fork so it will come up between the gears, and the cover will come off. If the problem is with the shift rails or the forks, you should be able to just install the whole cover assembly off the other trans you have. This can be done without removing the tranny from the truck.

Tim

70 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    87 Burb 4X4 350
    01 GMC 2500HD 4X4 Duramax/Allison

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I had one in my '77 that used to get the end of the shifter jammed between the internal shift blocks if I got too aggressive with the ol' speed shifting. [​IMG] I'd have to press down and twist left 1/4 turn on the dome where the shifter went into the tranny and then yank the shift lever out. Next, stick a big screwdriver down in there and align the shift blocks up so that the notches for the end of the shifter were side-by-side. This puts the trans in neutral. Then reinstall the shifter and lock the dome back into place. I got pretty good at doing this pretty fast. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>
    It's a great day to be alive...