Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SM465 project

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by steelsoldiers, Mar 26, 2004.

1. steelsoldiers

steelsoldiers 1/2 ton status

I have that SM465 that I got with my parts truck. I popped the top cover off and it looks pretty good inside. It looks like there was some moisture in it though 'cause there is a little surface rust on a few spots. Can I just clean it up or should I plan on doing a bearing, seal, and sychro kit? What's the best way to tell if it needs overhauled? The Haynes manual shows that you need a bunch of special tools to overhaul it so I am hoping I can just do a little light maintenance. Thanks.

Chris

2. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

the hardest part is getting the counter shaft bearing out
    rent a snap on puller cg-50 slide hammer IIRC
    a clamshell puller would make it easier, also available at a good rental centre

if you arent to deep into it now I would be tempted to run it
    worse case the syncros will be worn and you have to match rpm on gear changes a bit closer

harder then a 205 but still pretty easy to play with, ask Dan

3. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I say just run it. If it's just surface rust and not something that has been sitting in a pond filling with mud for 16 years. Just change the oil after a week's use to make sure there's no loose metal or rust residue left after all that crap lets loose. I'm a hack though, so do what you think is best /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Not sure that they all do, but the 465 that is apart in my garage has a stock magnet at the bottom of the case for just such an occasion. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I'd run it too, do some cursory checks to make sure there isn't anything obviously broken (rotate it, put it into all the gears) then drop it in.

5. steelsoldiers

That sounds really good to me. All the gears look real nice and it rotates real easy. I guess I just need a top cover gasket and a couple of PTO gaskets. I think my shift lever is a little bent from where it fell out of the truck /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif. What's the best way to straighten it? Heat and bend?

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Drop it the opposite way out of the truck so It bends back to normal /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Drop it the opposite way out of the truck so It bends back to normal

[/ QUOTE ]
    agreed /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

8. steelsoldiers

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif That would require driving that POS again, but only backwards, down that same hill and hitting the brakes in just the wrong spot so it would slide out of the truck bed past the open tailgate and almost hit my wife's car /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif Now would be some $^!T.

State Farm Agent: So, Mrs. Stansbury, how did this happen?

Wife: Well I was following my husband home as he was driving his brand new POS. The wiring shorted out and killed the truck. When he got it started he nailed it and shot the whole $%#!ing mess out into the street and I ran it over.

Agent: Did you know you have a $2000 deductible when it come to running over Chevy parts with you Ford?

Wife: Stupid hair-brained scheming, no-good, so-and-so, bleep, bleep, bleepity...... /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

9. Alaska K-5

Alaska K-5 Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]

Wife: Well I was following my husband home as he was driving his brand new POS. The wiring shorted out and killed the truck. When he got it started he nailed it and shot the whole $%#!ing mess out into the street and I ran it over.

Agent: Did you know you have a $2000 deductible when it come to running over Chevy parts with you Ford?

Wife: Stupid hair-brained scheming, no-good, so-and-so, bleep, bleep, bleepity...... /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No isn't that about the truth!! ROTF /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    That would require driving that POS again, but only backwards, down that same hill and hitting the brakes in just the wrong spot so it would slide out of the truck bed past the open tailgate and almost hit my wife's car /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif Now would be some $^!T.

[/ QUOTE ]

ROTFLMFAO /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

11. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'd run it...unless you see something that's obviously hashed it should be just fine. My SM 465 has close to 300,000 miles on it and it's just starting to get a little crunchy if I shift too quickly.

For the shifter, remove it first then put it in a vice near the bent area. Heat it up til it's a dull red and pull it straight. You might want to try and bend it back cold...but that'll be a tall order, you'll most likely make it worse. The only drawback to heating it is ruining the chrome if it's a chrome shifter.

Rene

12. steelsoldiers

[ QUOTE ]
    I'd run it...unless you see something that's obviously hashed it should be just fine. My SM 465 has close to 300,000 miles on it and it's just starting to get a little crunchy if I shift too quickly.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Cool, thanks, I'll just do the seals, fill her up, run it for a while, and then change the oil again.

[ QUOTE ]
    For the shifter, remove it first then put it in a vice near the bent area. Heat it up til it's a dull red and pull it straight. You might want to try and bend it back cold...but that'll be a tall order, you'll most likely make it worse. The only drawback to heating it is ruining the chrome if it's a chrome shifter.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Good thought. It is chrome, but I am sticking it in a flat tan military truck, so I'll just spray bomb it after I am done./forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I'd make sure that it is bent in a way that it wasn't before first. I have a picture of one on my "home page" if you want to check it out. It's the taller of the two. There is also a tech article on the main page about a tranny swap that might have a picture.