Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SM465 PTO?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Confedneck, Dec 29, 2003.

1. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

so there's an SM465 drive unit for sale on here.. what does it take to make this unit work with a hydraulic winch..and can the unit be installed now, is the install fairly easy, etc.. HELP /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Are you asking if you can install the PTO portion without hooking it up? If so, yes you can. It just bolts to the side of the 465. (look at the case, you'll see the plate on either side, about 7 bolts?)

My dad has a PTO winch on his truck (465 as well) and you have to pull the cable to "engage" the PTO driveshaft. I would assume the cable pulls a gear into contact with another gear that is turned by the transmission.

The bolt up looks fairly simple, it's just one piece that bolts on in place of the plate. A gasket and you should be good to go.

3. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

I've got a PTO and sm465/205. You will have to do a couple of mods to get the drive shaft to the winch including notching a cross member and the addition of at least one pillow block. Mine is not a hydraulic winch though. Maybe you're going to put a pump on the PTO? Mine is gear driven and it comes off the Xfer case, not the tranny. I have a 205. Took some pics. It's not perty but it works...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yeah, my dad cut a hole or notch in his frame to clear the driveshaft for it.

5. Confedneck

this is going on a 465 in my 86.. so if i can install it and just let it set there it would be kind of cool.. just waiting to find out about a shifter, etc for it.. i didnt realize that the PTO's used a driveshaft to propel whatever they were powering..

6. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

PTO boxes can serve several puposes, and they are geared to that application. if you are looking to use a PTO to power a hydraulic pump, they are made with a splined shaft that matches your pump and the pump will bolt right to the PTO box. make sure you do some of your homework and calculate how fast you need the PTO to spin to power your hydraulics without having to rev'ing the h$ll out of your engine.

7. Confedneck

so what should i ask the guy selling it? any specific questions? all i know is it would be /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif to have it LOL.. i figure that way if i ever wanted to run a hydraulic winch.. id have the PTO drive for it..?? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif