Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SM465 question??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by PurePower, May 30, 2002.

1. PurePower

PurePower Registered Member

I am converting a friends auto truck to a manual. We are going to rebuild the 465 transmission and 205 transfer case. Where is the best place to get parts and manuals for the transmission rebuild and TC rebuild? Can you get parts to rebuild the 465 tops. The forks are pretty worn on this one. Also the only part we need is the adapter ( the one we have is cracked). Does anyone have a part number for the adapter and sleeve if GM still has these? It is out of a late 70's chevy. Thanks

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Re: SM465 rebuild question??

Once again a cry for someone to make the adapters and sleeves! I definitely don't want to pay GM's prices for the adapter or sleeve. Would it really be so difficult that $200 for an adapter isn't worth making?

I'd assume the sleeve needs to be "sacrificial" as oppsed to the splines being the weak point, but IIRC, GM wants a mint for them too. Ooo...a piece of round stock drilled out with 10 splines cut into it.

As to rebuild stuff, I believe there is a Jeep page that lists a company to get 465 stuff from.... http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/sm465_parts.htm Kinda pricey, but I guess 25 additional years of non-stop use (in my trannies case) will be worth it. Beat that with an auto tranny lol. (just kidding folks)

3. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

National drivetrain or Direct drivetrain sell that but if Novak has them I would support him.
    I got a new coupler when I had mine rebuilt and the price for everything wasnt too outragious but I didnt get a break down of the pricing at the time.

4. PurePower

Does anyone have the GM part number for the SM465 trans to the 205 transfer case out of an early 70's chevy? Also the part number for the drive sleeve? Has anyone ever welded these or will they just crack again? Thanks

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I welded mine and it hasn't cracked since. It requires a special welding rod, good prep, and a carefully controlled cool down period to prevent further cracking. I buried mine in a 5 gallon bucket of sand after welding. It was still warm to the touch 8 hours later...

Get a qualified and experienced guy to weld it up for you....

Rene

6. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You can get the adaptors from GM (kinda pricey but since no-one else makes them, they can get the money).

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Beat that with an auto tranny lol. (just kidding folks)

<hr></blockquote>

Sorry that struck me as funny. I'm an auto guy but still laughed as I know it's true, just glad to see all the humor hasn't disappeared from this site, considering some of the recent posts............./forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

7. tRustyK5

My 465 is out of a 77 3/4 ton that was driven daily until it was parted out. I never rebuilt it and have driven daily ever since. My tranny probably has over 300,000 miles on it and it doesn't grind (unless i do something dumb.../forums/images/icons/smile.gif) or pop out of gear. I'm sure it has many good years left too.

Rene

8. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

I just had ton replace the RTO15715 in my Pete. But with 1,603,985 miles maybe it was time. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

9. PurePower

The only reason I would rebuild this one is because it sat in a building with the top off for about 10 years and got wet a few times. I know if they are running they last though.

10. tRustyK5

I'll make sure to let you know when my 465 makes 1,000,000 miles /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Rene

11. dyeager535

Yeah I'm going to rebuild one because a) I have a spare, b) mine doesn't shift quite right c) I can afford it right now d) I'm curious how "tight" the drivetrain can be when everything in the tranny is new.

I still have no doubt that this tranny would continue to run for many, many miles, and if I were actually selling it, would probably laughingly give someone a 50,000 mile warranty on it : )

12. smartpatrol

smartpatrol Registered Member

How about NP 205 parts/rebuild kits?

13. dyeager535

Sorry no source for that stuff.

14. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

205 kit was $170usd IIRC from National? or Direct? Drivetrain which ever is in Nevada.

15. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

I get all my rebuild kits from Austin Drivetrain. They've always steered me right and their prices are very competative. ?SP? My 465 kit was like $110 and a 205 is like $125-$150 I think. They're on the web, Look them up and see what they can do for yah. Dave is really good there. And I think Rocko and Billy Ray will back me on this too.

16. dyeager535

To get back on topic here (or just cause I called someplace today : ) I found that a place in Seattle "Valley Gear" has the sleeves and the adapters for Sm465/205 combo's. I'm hoping they are GM pieces for these prices...just over $200 for the adapter, $76 for the sleeve. Anyways, he says the adapter is hollow "like stock" but I've heard from others with newly bought adapters that the new GM ones are solid, so who nows.

Still don't like the idea of paying $200 for a cast piece no better than the one everyone breaks.