Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sm465 question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Anteak, Sep 30, 2002.

1. Anteak

Anteak 1/2 ton status

The front seal is leaking on my 465. It was leaking badly when I bought the blazer. Took it apart and replaced the seal around the input shaft, emery clothed the shaft, then bolted everything back together. The thing still pucks out oil. Took it apart again /forums/images/icons/mad.gif and the seal still looks good. I can feel it fit snug over the input shaft when I slide it on.

What is my problem!! /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

The top vent is open. Thought it might be building up pressure.
    Only advise so far has been to; cut the spring a little shorter (@1/4") around the seal to tighten the seal.
    Silicone around the bolts and seal /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif
    Has anyone siliconed the front gasket on or removed the gasket and siliconed the cover on? Thought this would move the seal up closer on the input shaft.

I need some ideals. The tranny is too heavy to keep removing it and my clutch doesn't like the oil. Will be replacing the clutch also.

2. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Is the seal leaking or the hard metal piece that goes into the tranny leaking?

If it is the hard casing, I suggest Form-A-Gasket 2. This will remain pliable while keeping the seal.

If it is the rubber part with the spring, maybe your input shaft has worn a groove?!?!?
    It will need to be replaced or sleeved (don't know if this is possible).

Good luck.

3. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

duct tape and jb weld! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

4. Anteak

Anteak 1/2 ton status

Sorry, it's the inner rubber seal around the input shaft that's leaking. I didn't see or feel a groove on the input shaft, but where the seal rides, it looks like the shaft tapers in or is slightly conical shape. My ideal was to remove the 4" dia. paper gasket between the case and the cover to try to move the inner seal closer to the beefier part of the input shaft. Hoping for a better grip.

Anyone try this? Does anyone else have or had a leakly tranny?
    During re-builds, did anyone use the paper gasket w/o form-a gasket, w/form-a-gasket or just form-a-gasket?

Don't want to fry another clutch. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

5. hungryjpr

hungryjpr Registered Member

I believe that removing that paper seal (between the bearing retainer & the case) will be too tight on the input shaft bearing. I think the tighter spring is your best option, aside from checking the input shaft for wear & replacing it if that's the case.
    Matt B

6. Anteak

Anteak 1/2 ton status

Thanks, looks like I will be going that route. Will only use form-a-gasket around the bolts. Is there a torque spec. for those?
    Should I be doing anything to the lower cover with the four screws in it.

Funny that I'm the only one with a leaky sm465.