Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sm465 question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 69K5, Oct 14, 2003.

1. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

i finally got all the body off the 72 k20 and the 465 wasnt wanting to shift. it seems to be stuck in neutral which was helpful in towing it home. I decided to take the top plate and shifter off to look for a problem. i couldnt lift it but like an inch. it looked dry and there was some surface rust (not much) on the gears i could see throught the crack. there was some 4 sided star thing that was rusted also.

any ideas?? savable? addd gear oil ? marvel mystery oil?? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

thanks

69k5

2. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

well, turn the imput shaft some while trying to shift to 2nd or reverse. . . also add some 80/90 gear oil. . .

3. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

First I would check the fluid level and fill it to the appropriate level... Then I would turn the input to allow the oil to cycle! Then, I would shift it half way into Reverse and you should be able to pop the cover completely off then! Just put about 3-4 bolts back in and do this process, once it shifts half way into reverse, take the bolts out and then the lid should come out! YOu won't get the lid back on unless the shifter and the gears are both half way into reverse! Hope this helps! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

bowtie red

i will try that tommorow. i need to study and dont have time to drop the rear d shaft or go buy some gear oil.

batmanjr

thanks for tellin me about the 1/2 reverse thing. no tellin what i would have broke yanking on it.

if i remember right it should hold about 4 quarts right after i drain the old

thanks to both /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

69k5

5. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    no tellin what i would have broke yanking on it

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure there is. You would have broken the reverse shift fork. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I believe if someone takes off the cover (or takes out the shifter) and doesn't get it back in right, you can effectively "lock out" a gear or two. Puttnig it in neutral before pulling the shifter is a smart idea.

I remember taking the cover off a 465 I bought that was "good", yet when I put the cover back on, it wouldn't shift right. If you look down inside the tranny from the shifter "hole", you'll see there are small "blocks" side by side, with cutouts in them. Neutral is all 3(?) blocks lined up.

7. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

today we got it to go into reverse. so we are making progress. just 4 more gears to go!

reverse shif t fork? i can see me having spare parts already /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    If you look down inside the tranny from the shifter "hole", you'll see there are small "blocks" side by side, with cutouts in them. Neutral is all 3(?) blocks lined up

[/ QUOTE ]

If any of those blocks are not in the center position when you install the shifter, it will not shift just bind.