Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sm465 questions/problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dyeager535, Apr 15, 2002.

1. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Well, even if this transmission doesn't work right, it should still have been a good deal...

Once I got it home, I put the shifter back in, and proceeded to discover that all gears work, *except* low. (or 1st) The fluid that came out of it looked/smelled fine, and I didn't see any metal chunks, but when I put it in low, both input and output shafts are locked up tight. Absolutely no slop, which is nice, except it doesn't move at all! : )

Looking at http://home.attbi.com/~jmdufr/Joe/4spd/page2.jpg I can't see how it can be something with the shift rail, although the ones I'm used to are case iron..if it wasn't cast iron, I guess an idiot could bend the shift "fork" trying to force it into low. Does anyone know what the fork is made of? Since 1st/2nd (thats nice, manual says 1-2-3-4, handle says L-1-2-3 : ) share the same lever, it would appear that anything that affects 1 would likely affect 2... It shifts into each gear nicely, (better than my '76) and the guy was *supposedly* driving it up until the engine quit, but I guess he was never using low.

Any thoughts? I'll pop the cover off, but not sure that will tell me much, unless I can see the fork is obviously bent or something...gonna have to tear it apart to swap the output shaft anyway, hope I can find one of those instead of having a dead truck for a few days...

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Before you put it in 1st did you verify that it was in nuetral? It sounds like another gear may be still engaged. Having had the shifter out that is a distinct possibilty. Check out Dan's post on removing the top cover of the tranny...some good info there.

Rene

3. dyeager535

Yeah I *just* saw that his post is covering basically the same stuff.... : ) When I put the stick back in the first time, it fit, but I couldn't shift or move it at all..of course I didn't force it, I just pulled it out and put it back in "correctly"

Perhaps myself was the one that screwed it up...I've had the shifter out of mine numerous times and never had a problem putting it back in, perhaps this was an exception. I'll verify that its even in neutral first off, then troubleshoot by looking that everything shifter related is in the right place per Dan's posts. Thanks

4. dyeager535

Checked it last night, goes into neutral alright, so gotta break out the flashlight /forums/images/icons/smile.gif