Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SM465 questoms.....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Uncle Fester, May 28, 2006.

1. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester 1/2 ton status

Hey all,
    Is there a way to add a transmission cooler to a SM465 transmission? I was thinking about adding one too help ward off over heating when I go four wheeling or towing large loads with my suburban.
    Just to remind you, I have a 1978 Suburban 4x4, 350ci, SM465, NP205, 10 bolt/12 bolt with 3.73 gears ans 33x12.50/15 tires.
    I do plan to flush the oil in the trans, t-Case and both diffs this month and add BG Products Multi Gear Concentrate (MGC), and that should help with the heat some. Also I do NOT have a temp guage for the trans at this time, so I do not know how hot it is getting...:doah:

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

You might be able to get two billet PTO covers with fins in them. Other than that you would have to install a pump to move the gear oil through the cooler, not sure how though.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

No need for one, that gear lube never gets that hot anyways...unlike an automatic. Also, there is no pump and the lube isn't under any pressure so there isn't any practical way of circulating the gear lube through a cooler anyways.

Rene

4. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester 1/2 ton status

Thats kind of what I was thinking, but thought I would ask because I know that some big rig truck have coolers on them, even with stick shift trannys...figured I could ask....so I should be just fine with good quality gear oil and don't worry beyond that huh? Thanks guys :bow: :bow: :bow:

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I think even the new ZF 6 speeds and NV5600's have coolers on em. That being said they also have a ton more input torque to deal with and are often used in tow rigs with near ridiculous loads behind them. Most SM 465's will outlast two trucks lifetimes...

The good part is there are no internal clutches to really get the fluid hot.

Rene

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

think I've seen old school upgrade things that bolt to the PTO covers, made of aluminum and they add a slight bit of fluid capacity to the trans. Like noted there is no need, the oil does get warm but no where near hot enough to warrant a cooler.

7. rumbly truck

rumbly truck 1/2 ton status

Go to quad4x4.com and look at the transmission filter setup for a nv4500. I think that the pto cover is the same.