Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sm465 rebuild?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by littlejimmythatcould, May 12, 2006.

1. littlejimmythatcould

littlejimmythatcould 1/2 ton status

My buddy has a truck he's been trying to sell me for a while now. I mainly just want the axles off of it (d44/14 bff), but it also has the 465 tranny with the 205 transfer case. I just replaced my transmission in my truck about 8 months ago (Advance Auto parts special $650), but would like to have a manual (I could prabably sell my auto tranny). And maybe someday pair the transfercases together and have some kind of crazy bada** crawl ratio like 100:1 or so. My question is: Is there anything in the sm465 that needs to be rebuilt or replaced before installing it in a truck? And will it bolt to my 203 or would it be smarter to install it with the 205 attached to it (ORD has rebuild kits for the 205 and there's a tech article floating around to help me rebuild it)? Would new drive shafts be needed or will my old ones work? I was thinking that I would go ahead and ask this question before I put my lift on. I am thinking of a 4 inch lift. And with all this new stuff under my truck I think it would be smart to put the lift on AND driveline stuff in before I had the driveshafts made. One final question... will swapping in the manual tranny make it more difficult to wheel with?
    I appreciate any info or input anyone has on this topic and appreciate everyone's help with my questions so far. My wife always says,"there should be a support group like AA for people like you who are obcessed with their trucks..." and I tell her there is.... CK5! Thanks again.:bow:
    Edit: I had a guy lined up to go in with me on buying the truck. He wanted the trans and t-case, but he backed out. So now I'm considering using them for myself.

2. ProJunkRacing

ProJunkRacing 1/2 ton status

so basically sounds like if you had the money for the plate for a doubler and the saft for it you would or could have a doubler now right?

3. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

your 465 is about as bulletproof as they get. I have ragged mine hard and it has given me no problems at all. It pops out of 1st and 3rd sometimes but I live with it. I think it's because the plastic pieces on the shift forks are worn. Someone feel free to correct me if i've misdiagnosed my own problem. In my opinion, it's easier wheeling for me with the 4spd. A good clutch is a huge part of that.

4. littlejimmythatcould

I figured it would be a low budget upgrade since I would already have all the parts. Just having to have drive shafts made. I''m tring to learn more about the swap as far as cost. And I have heard that the 465 is pretty much bullet proof, just didn't know if it had parts inside that get worn out and would need replaced. My wife's gonna be pi**ed that I'm tearing out my brand new tranny and swapping an old used one in it's place. That's why I was wondering about rebuilding it. She'd rather me swap in rebuilt parts into my truck than old parts (mainly so she doesn't have to hear about it for a while). As far as the 205, should I rebuild it? All in all, I'd like to have a bullet proof drivetrain (who doesn't?):D . I may have to hold off on the swap because I'd like to have the doubler, the ATOR doublers are on sale for $650 but I think I will need an adapter to fit my 203 gear box on the 465 since it was not originally in front of a 203. Thanks.

TODD

5. ProJunkRacing

that is why you talk to them i am sure nwf would hook you up too

6. littlejimmythatcould

7. ProJunkRacing

northwest fab

8. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Check the output on the mainshaft, they always wear out the splines, so it is good insurance to change the mainshaft. Pull the t case and pull the coupler, youll see what im talking about. While your in there you might as well do new bearings and synchros along as new bushings and a new countershaft spacer and both shift forks and they always wear out and a new coupler.

9. littlejimmythatcould

Cool thanks. I checked out northwest fab and their doulber looks like it'll work prettty good and I could change the clocking myself which is a bonus. I plan on only running a 4 inch lift so clocking it would probably be a good idea for maximum clearance since I'm not going with a big lift.
    P.S. Hey monsterchev, how does that 14 bolt front work? I've often wondered if something like that could be done.

10. ProJunkRacing

i think he did it just to say he did lol

11. littlejimmythatcould

It didn't look like there was a front driveshaft connected to it. That would be cool to have 2 14 bolts. Especially since they're easier to find than dana 60's.