Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sm465 rebuild

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MJB774X, Jan 26, 2003.

1. MJB774X

MJB774X 1/2 ton status

this weekend I got a price to rebuild my 465/205, the guy told me a grand if I take it out myself, all other local shops won't do it I was told by one guy the trans was fine and it has worked well but when I push in the clutch to shift it clunks, is that normal? what do you guys think is a grand seem like alot to you? I guess I could run it till it breaks and get another setup from the bone yard it would just suck to break it far from home, u joints are new and rearend backlash is fine all mounts are good does anyone else's 465 do the same? /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Could be a worn output shaft stub...you'd have to split the tranny and T-case apart and check the splines on the back of the tranny and the front of the T-case.

Rene

3. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

check to make sure the bolt between the bellhousing and block are tight, also between the bellhousing and the transmission.

4. MJB774X

MJB774X 1/2 ton status

pretty sure everything is tight, but I'll check because splitting it appart does not sound like fun but it does sound better then -$1000 , thanks for info /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

a grand is hiway robbery

6. MJB774X

MJB774X 1/2 ton status

whats a reasonable price? anyone know? /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

7. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

depends what the builder is gonna do.
    if he is just gonna throw new bearings and a paint job I wouldnt even bother.
    if he is actually gonna rebuild the box including bushings on the mainshaft and any gears that show wear(rev gets beat hard, as can first) then a grand might be very reasonable.
    but if they are quoting a G without even seeing the box...
    also mainshaft splines are commonly worn bad from coupler contact.
    I paid a G to have some hack rebearing my tranny and TC and a new coupler. total waste of money.
    read the articles in my webshots album and learn what is inside a 465 so you can be aware of what he is doing for the money.
    whats a shop rate? $65 an hour? a G is a lot of hours.

8. MJB774X

MJB774X 1/2 ton status

thanks for the info /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

9. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I am the forum pessimist though, so get other opinions LOL /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

10. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

everyso often you can find a rebuild kit for that on ebay for $108.95. a grand isn't worth it. you can get 2 or 3 out of a junk yard for that.

11. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

i think i can probably help ya with what ever way you deciede you wanna go for a lot less $$$ and i am local just here in los angeles
    so i sent ya a pm

12. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Find a salvage yard where you can pull it yourself.Save some bucks before I gave that for rebuild.If it's slack in the coupler that 1000 will go a long way towards doubler setup. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gifer /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. dysfunction

dysfunction Newbie

It's easy enough to do the whole rebuild yourself. The bearings have to come off for you to even get inside for the most part. From there all you really need is a press and you can do the whole thing yourself. Hard parts prices are not really all that bad for this case. If you want more info check here. In short yep, a grand is way more than I'd feel comfortable paying for someone to rebuild a manual transmission. Good luck!

mike

14. Mikeyg79

Mikeyg79 Registered Member

A grand is a lot, seeing a how the last SM465 I bought I paid $50 for it from a junk yard.

15. MJB774X

MJB774X 1/2 ton status

I checked out that artical, pretty cool, also that whole sight looks cool, but I tried to registar and it took a few times to work, and then to post or use anything it did not work, is this your sight?, is it new? ck5 is simple to use and there is actually people on it

16. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

good site.
    welcome

17. dysfunction

dysfunction Newbie

Thanks. It's a pseudo-club site and I'm still working on it /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

18. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I had mine rebuilt, new mainshaft, coupler, input gear, new shift forks, bearings and syncros for $843.