Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sm465 shifter

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nyyef, May 5, 2004.

1. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

is there an aftermarket shifter for the sm465 to shorten the throws and/or take up the slack?

if not, are there any mods to improve whats already there?

i did a search and couldnt find anything. Thanks.

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Nah, unfortunately there's nothing in the aftermarket...

3. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

you can however make the clutch action quite a bit better with mods to the linkage... tightens up the slack...
    go here
    http://www.speeddirect.com
    and look for the linkage kits... or make one yourself
    hope this helps
    cam

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Or ya could go hydro... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Going hydro won't effect the way the shifter works at all. That's all clutch pedal.

Alot of those shifters have a small tack weld right near the end of it that breaks and causes a bit more slop/play. Pull the shifter out of the tranny and look at the end...If the tack is broke, it'll be retty obvious. Mine was. I re tacked them with the TIG welder for a bit more strength. Tightened it up quite a bit. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

6. stock93

stock93 Registered Member

How does the shifter come out?

John

7. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Going hydro won't effect the way the shifter works at all. That's all clutch pedal.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yeah, I know, I was talking about going hydro instead of the heim-jointed linkage. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    How does the shifter come out?

John

[/ QUOTE ]

Take the rubber boot off (usually held on with some screws under the carpet) and then push DOWN on the collar at the base fo the shifter (it is spring loaded) and turn counter-clockwise. The the shifter will pull straight out!

Chris

9. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Make sure it's in neutral first, or it'll be a beotch to get back in.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    you can however make the clutch action quite a bit better with mods to the linkage... tightens up the slack...
    go here
    http://www.speeddirect.com
    and look for the linkage kits... or make one yourself
    hope this helps
    cam

[/ QUOTE ]

Cam, do you know much about these kits and if they work well? I have a 465/205 I've been dying to put in my K5 and don't have the time or money to do a hydro swap right now. I also need a new linkage in my '68, but it says "63-72: coming soon /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif" This might be the ticket though /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

I dont really know anything about these kits... I mean I havent seen one
    I built one.. couldnt stomach the 65 bucks they were asking... this week however Ive been converting to hydro... more because my 2 other later model trucks are and I really wanted to have all of them be the same,,,and the hydro feels so much smoother to me
    a couple of heim joints and round stock threaded cost about 20.00.... I used their pic and my stock linkage measurements...with adjustability
    It really tightened up the slop but I didnt notice any other improvement...ie off camber performance....Im running a centerforce stage 2 clutch which is so stiff anyway noting a difference is pretty subjective....its real stiff or very stiff... was the mod worth it.. sure ..its one of the only games in town...one only has to look at how basic(read minimal engineering and cost) the manual linkage is... and mine was sloppy after a lifetime of shifts... I tried originally putting in bronze bushings to take all the slop out of the stock linkage... dont bother wasting your time it didnt make any difference other than it was tighter... not smoother..
    Ill check the tranny mod that was discussed when I pull my shifter next week... tranny is out for a short shaft conversion...and doubler as soon as I can afford it...
    cam

12. stock93

stock93 Registered Member

Thanks guys. My welds were busted on mine. I bet it will shift a bit better once welded up. Would it hurt anything for me to weld it all the way around?

John

13. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I welded mine all the way around the end, plus the little pin that goes thru it. Really tightened it up.

14. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

ya' just use a bfscrewdriver, to move it back to neutral, takes 5 seconds. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif