Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SM465 Short-Shift kit

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Ben B., Oct 30, 2006.

1. Ben B.

Ben B. 1/2 ton status

Anyone know of one?

This would be fantastic...

2. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

No kidding! I am tired of beating my hand on my center console and the dash:D

I've looked everywhere I can't find anything so far.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

none made. About your only option is making yourself one... If you are beating your fist into things something is worn out. My shifter never let my hand get that close to the dash or the center console.

4. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Cut 10 inches off the top of the shifter and then you got a short shifter........LOL>>

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

actually the change in shift throw length comes from both the length of the shifter handle and the actual shift mechanism inside the transmission. so just cutting it down will just hurt you back when you reach down to shift...

http://www.twmperformance.com/faq/

6. K5-newf

K5-newf 1/2 ton status

i think its fine the way it is!!!:laugh:

7. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

kind of makes me think i am driving a big rig. :saweet:

8. Ben B.

Ben B. 1/2 ton status

I'm definitely not hitting my hand on anything. lol. My Tranny's pretty tight...I'd love to be able for it to shift smoothly and quickly like a car tranny though.

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

it is an SM465, its just never going to.

My buddy had a short throw shifter in his NV5600 in his 05 2500 Dodge with a Cummins. You still knew you were shifting the gears of a Truck trans. They don't even make short throws for the NV4500, just the NV5600.

10. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

I have a body lift so the shifter sits lower in the cab so reverse comes back just far enough that if your not paying attention you'll smack your hand on the center console.

11. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

eh the throw's no big deal unless you're tryin to race or somethin lol. i tried racin my buddy the other day when we were out at the trails, but i couldn't find 2nd :haha:

12. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I was just joking on cutting the shifter.. nobody's going to be able to imitate Ronnie Sox speed shifting a 465. You can tighten it up, but not really shorten up the throw length like a car tranny. Check the spot welds at the base of the shifter to see if they are broke. There are a few threads on here about how to fix the welds and the bushing..

13. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

I've had a 5.61 1st NV4500 in my 95, and now have a rebuilt, good shifting SM465 in my 80. The NV4500 shifts like a Honda Civic compared to the 465, you can shift a 4500 pretty damn fast. The newer Furds and GM's with the ZF 6-speed feel much worse than the 4500- very vague and difficult to get used to. Kind of like a 6-speed SM465. I've also had a couple of trucks with the Getrag light duty 5-speed. They didn't shift as well as the 4500 does. I've never driven a 5600, so I can't compare it to the others. If somebody has a truck so equipped (and bombed), I would be willing to beat on it for a few hours so that I can give you an answer. :haha:

14. tlspeed

tlspeed Registered Member

Hey guys check this out, I read about this in Fourwheeler. I know its not for the SM465, but you could possilby make something like it if you dont mid fabbing. I know it may not work in convential applications, but its something to check out

here: http://www.ironbender.com/products.htm

15. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

NV4500 set a standard for nice shifting truck trannies that has yet to be matched, and still to this day is hailed as the nicest shifting truck tranny out there. Nice clear gates, and a short quick throw.

I've got an NV3500, and like you said, it can be a bit tough to find a gear, and forget about shifting it quickly, the SM465 in my 80 shifts quicker...

16. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Get a longer arm :rolleyes:

There must be at least 2 different shifters for the 465. The old ones only had one bend in them. Maybe that style is more ergonomic for some people.

I drove for nearly 4 hours in traffic today with the 465 trans. I still wouldn't have it any other way.

17. buffblazer

buffblazer 1/2 ton status

ya i agree with leaving it alone, i love shifting mine, expecially when your going down the highway or in town, when you get bored of driving it makes your day to shift into the next gear. and yes i love the feeling of the knob and the feel of a big rig

18. Ben B.

Ben B. 1/2 ton status

Drove my 465 for the first time in town today...No problems, love it. It could use a shorter throw, but no complaints.

EDIT: One thing though. 2nd gear has the grunt but the rpms are too high...then I slip it into 3rd and it totally dies...wtf?

It could do with a gear between 2nd and 3rd.

19. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

How high are you getting the rpms before you shift?

With the 465 you need to spend more time in each gear as the gears are farther apart. I start in 2nd most of the time and then get to about 3000rpm then shift to 3rd which goes in at like 1750rpm. Then shift to 4th by about 2500rpm, then I'm at cruising speed round 1300-2000 rpm.

20. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I've driven a rig with an NV5600 with a short throw shifter. I must say, as far as truck trans go, well it didn't feel like one. Took me a bit to get the gates and all down, but before you knew it I was shifting as fast as I do in my sister's fox body and doing so without ever touching a gate.