Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SM465 stuck in gear (3rd)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by lamberthkp, Apr 18, 2006.

1. lamberthkp

lamberthkp SITFU Premium Member

well my tranny got stuck in 3rd gear yesterday,i shifted pretty fast from 1st to 2nd, L,1,2,3. and it stuck and wont come out. what do yall think happend?
    maybe i jumped the forks or something like that :dunno:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2006
  2. mdm365

mdm365 1/2 ton status

I had the same thing happen to mine when I was out wheeling.I played with it got it unstuck worked about three days and got stuck with no getting it unstuck.I pulled out the tranny and did a rebild found the coupler and mainshaft worn real bad,The reason it got stuck,well it was some detent balls and spring in the shift housing.The spring broke and got stuck in the shift rodsPull the carpet and tranny tunnel and then the shifter make suer its half way in reverse pull the shifter housing .could be an easy fix,that is if you can get the parts arond here it was kind of hard but I did find them. Mike

3. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ive seen synchronizers cause that also.

4. lamberthkp

i'll try that, well i orderd a rebuild kit last week but did not think i would be having to put it in so soon. its still on the side of the road im gunna go out and mess around with it here in a bit hopefully if im lucky i can get it home but if not looks like i will have to have it towed off base.

5. lamberthkp

ya iv had to hold it in gear in 3rd since i put it in or it will pop out. but that is the 1st time it stuck and it stuck good. im going to take the PTO cover off and see whats going on. you dont know anyone to tow me off of base for cheap do ya $75 is as low as i have found so far in j'ville. oh ya the truck wont move either its in 3rd but like it aint in 3rd like Nuetral or something

6. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Can you put the t-case in neutral and flat tow it?

BTW, pulling your PTO cover isn't going to show you anything useful, your only bet is to unjam the shifter somehow, and pop the top off.

Most popping out of 3rd problems are shift fork related, not syncro as is the most popular suspect for some reason. Once you get the tranny apart, you'll see what I mean.

All the syncro does, as it's name suggests is syncronize the speed of the shift collar with the gear on the mainshaft. It does this by putting a soft friction material between the gear and the mainshaft, until they are the same speed, and allows you to pop the gear in, as if the transmission wasn't moving. When guys powershift / double shift, they are just manually matching the speed of the shift collar and the gear by revving the engine up, then the gear dumps straight in as if it was syncronized.

The syncros are made of a far softer material than the gears are, and about all that the syncros can do is wear out, and not spin up the gear you want, causing the shift collar to grind against the splines on the gear.

Another thing that some people claim causes 3rd gear popouts is a snap ring on the countershaft (bottom gears you see when you open a PTO cover) that weakens over time and allows the gear to shift slightly forwards. But, I personally don't see how, as it wouldn't make much difference if the bottom gear is walking around a touch. It won't make the top one that has the shift collar slid onto it pop the shift collar off. I put the little sleeve that they sell aftermarket on not to prevent gear popouts, but to prevent a pretty catastrophic failure if that snap ring were to actually break, and allow the gear to slide forwards on the mainshaft, lol

However, if your shift forks are worn out (they have a plastic coating on them from the factory that wears off), or if you've got a lot of slop in the shifter then, its gonna cause the shift collar to not engage all the way onto the gear, allowing it to slide off without much effort at all.

7. R77K10

R77K10 Banned

ive had it happen before you really dont need any tools cept the big pliers to get the stick handle out of the trans and put the lever blocks in neutral position again and put the stick back in, make sure the pins are all the way through and everything

when it happened to me i put pins back where they were supposed to be and everything and it never happened again

make sure end of the stick isnt loose wobbly

if so then have it welded or get another handle

what happened is the end of the stick popped out of place in the shift blocks in there

thats all

it happens,
    this stuff is old, some wear, etc.

very minor

easy quick fix too

good luck

8. lamberthkp

allright just went back out before i called someone to tow it. and i finally got it to come out of gear and drove it around base and seems to shift just fine but i reckin i will go ahead and rebuild it this month or next i have my buddys truck to drive till middle of next month . :D :D

9. lamberthkp

THANKS for yalls help :D

10. Russell

Glad to hear you got her movin again :)

Don't put off rebuilding it too long if you've got a kit, it only takes about a weekend, a brass drift, a big hammer, chisel, snap ring pliers, bearing puller and a torch to rebuild. Don't need a fancy press. I don't even have a brass drift, I used about 8 feet of 2x4s cut into smaller peices, then pounded on until they split apart, LOL

11. lamberthkp

anyone have a big picture of a rebuild on one . found the breakdown online but it is so small i cant really tell what all goes on.

12. Russell

I had a good pic, but I have no idea where it is now...

Search google, I found one or two rebuild tutorials that had step by step instructions with good pictures.