Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SM465 stuck in gear, shift forks, and WTB a drain plug?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by steelsoldiers, Mar 27, 2004.

1. steelsoldiers

steelsoldiers 1/2 ton status

I am working on that project SM465 and I noticed that the drain plug is missing. Any body know where you can get one? Part number?

Also with the shift cover on or off, I can't seem to shift in between any gears but first and second. The shift rails look fine and they are nice and free, but it seems jammed up. Do I need to take the whole cover apart?

One last thing, the plastic coating is coming off of the shift forks. Can they be recoated with something or should I just scrape the loose stuff off and leave it alone?
    /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

the drain plug looks like a pipe fitting that you can get at any hardware store. not sure on the size though

make sure the top cover is in neutral and the tranny, its got to be half way into reverse to get the tover back on

i think you can get those at the dealer. i would replace them, there cheap

3. steelsoldiers

[ QUOTE ]
    make sure the top cover is in neutral and the tranny, its got to be half way into reverse to get the tover back on

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, the problem is even with the cover off, the shifter only wants to go 1-2. It won't go neutral or 3, 4, or R. Strange /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

pull the shifter off and see if all the notches are lined up

5. steelsoldiers

Everything looks fine internally. The forks are straight and line up right. It just won't shift. I wonder if something is bent in the cover. I can't get the shifter to do anything with the cover off except 1-2. When I put it in the neutral position it won't go to the right for 3, 4, or R. Any other thoughts? Does anyone have some photos of their SM465 that I could use for comparison? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif Thanks.

Chris